• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winterwatch 2015. (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

I was listening very early this morning on the BBC Radio Breakfast programme which came from Minsmere on my internet Radio, looking back since Springwatch was broadcast in May and the BBC Radio Suffolk presenter let it slip that Winterwatch would be coming from Northern Scotland again in January 2015. I wonder if it will be the same place as Winterwatch 2014 which was also broadcast from Northern Scotland.
Ian.

BBC Winterwatch Flickr group is open for business as of yesterday evening. If you want your best image to be cut off by a BBC glitch just as it comes on screen, you can offer it up now!

John

Is there going to be a live Winterwatch webcam behind the red button or on the BBC red button channel or on the Internet as I can find no information on the Winterwatch website and it doesn't seem to be on the red button TV channel next Monday according to the BBC EPG Red Button TV channel on Sky or Freeview. I have hope the live webcam is not being discontinued because of the cuts at the BBC because of the TV Licece freeze.
Ian.

Is there going to be a live Winterwatch webcam behind the red button or on the BBC red button channel or on the Internet as I can find no information on the Winterwatch website and it doesn't seem to be on the red button TV channel next Monday according to the BBC EPG Red Button TV channel on Sky or Freeview. I have hope the live webcam is not being discontinued because of the cuts at the BBC because of the TV Licece freeze.
Ian.

Be a very big let down if it is, looking forward to it and all the delights of the "Red Button" will be complaining to the BBC if it is.

Damian

I've had a reply from BBC Springwatch about the webcams and the reply I received said, unfortunately there will be no live webcams on Winterwatch this year. We are as disapointed as you, but they will be back in the spring. I think that basically means, that because of the general cuts at the BBC because of the TV Licence freeze, they have been unavailable to have any webcams for Winterwatch in 2015 which is most disapointing.
Ian.

It could also be because they haven't found an inspiring animal frequenting somewhere that can be webcammed. In winter things do become much harder to keep track of because times are hard. Travels become wider, there's no attachment to breeding locations and apart from feeding stations animals can't be depended upon.

A few examples from last week's Harlequin twitch and Speyside sweep:

Too much water at Carrbridge (a lethal foaming torrent) - no Dippers

Snow and blizzards up the Findhorn - no goats or Red Deer, let alone Mountain and Brown Hares

No sign of Red Squirrels during watches at Loch Garten RSPB's feeders (though fantastic Crested Tits), Glenmore cafe or Loch of the Lowes.

Heigh ho. Hopefully some travelling camera teams will have found some stuff to film!

John

It could also be because they haven't found an inspiring animal frequenting somewhere that can be webcammed. In winter things do become much harder to keep track of because times are hard. Travels become wider, there's no attachment to breeding locations and apart from feeding stations animals can't be depended upon.

A few examples from last week's Harlequin twitch and Speyside sweep:

Too much water at Carrbridge (a lethal foaming torrent) - no Dippers

Snow and blizzards up the Findhorn - no goats or Red Deer, let alone Mountain and Brown Hares

No sign of Red Squirrels during watches at Loch Garten RSPB's feeders (though fantastic Crested Tits), Glenmore cafe or Loch of the Lowes.

Heigh ho. Hopefully some travelling camera teams will have found some stuff to film!

John
Well actually until the Loch Garten webcam went down again earlier today, i had seen the Red Squirrel regularly every day on the birdfeeder.
Ian.

They (red squirrels) usually hang about in the trees just beside the car park at Loch Garten.

I thought of that too, but at this time of year there are no feeders there and generally no visitors either (we didn't see anyone else in the two or three hours we were there.)

There are feeders up at the Osprey Centre and I fully expected to clock Red Squirrel there - no dice.

John

I suspect Chris has got his facts wrong in his explanation as to why the cabin roof was destroyed by the wind. Shouldn't it be low pressure above the roof, not under it? One of the perils of live broadcasting.

Ron

I suspect Chris has got his facts wrong in his explanation as to why the cabin roof was destroyed by the wind. Shouldn't it be low pressure above the roof, not under it? One of the perils of live broadcasting.

Ron

Or possibly of being a smart**se

(And of course you are correct about the low pressure)

Mind you, full marks to Chris for managing to say "sucked off with a pressure of six and a half tons" with a straight face!

John

Mind you, full marks to Chris for managing to say "sucked off with a pressure of six and a half tons" with a straight face!
And full marks to Birdforum for not automatically censoring your post.

They seem to be trying quite hard to kill Martin. They are also obviously being spoilt up there. The three of them were standing outside with Tawny Owls calling almost constantly but they didn't even mention them.

Ron

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back