• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tract Toric 8x42 Experience (1 Viewer)

JG,

The 8x wouldn't tempt me on Fov alone, though the 10x looks quite respectable in this regard. You've said it compares well optically to some pretty good glass - any chance of comparing the 10x Toric?

You mentioned it had "heft" - is the specified 748grams weight accurate?

Also what direction does the focuser turn to infinity?

Finally, can you make any comment for the 10x on the ER when using with glasses?

Thanks, Chosun :gh:

Yeah, it's somewhat surprising that the 10x specs are so much more attractive than the 8x, — including a 17mm ER that might work for me (with close fitting glasses).

I note there is another 8x42 with more attractive specs called the TEKOA that is $200 less expensive and considerably lighter because it's made from your favorite plastics. ;)

Ed

Coda: "The TRACT Trust Assurance guarantees the functionality of the product for the duration of its lifetime whether you’re the original owner or not. We believe the customer’s experience is our responsibility."

I wonder what the "duration of its lifetime" is.

Ed

Maybe I missed something, but from what I can see there were no user evaluations as in this thread.

Ed

Coda: "The TRACT Trust Assurance guarantees the functionality of the product for the duration of its lifetime whether you’re the original owner or not. We believe the customer’s experience is our responsibility."

I wonder what the "duration of its lifetime" is.

Ed

If it burns up in a fire that sweeps through your hunting camp, then it's dead.

.... just kidding jgraider. Sorry to hear about the Euro HD.

RIP, Euro HD. o:D

If it burns up in a fire that sweeps through your hunting camp, then it's dead.

.... just kidding jgraider. Sorry to hear about the Euro HD.

RIP, Euro HD. o:D

Hey, no problem. I have to laugh about it now, but two trailers, a Polaris Ranger, and a Honda ATV went down in a blaze of glory too.

Hi Guys,

Came across this thread and wanted to drop a note. We appreciate the write up JG and am glad you're liking the new optics!

If anyone has questions on Tract or our products feel free to drop me a message. Just want to be here for when you guys need it.

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Hi Trevor

For purposes of comparison, wondering if you have transmission curves or overall transmission figures for the Torics? I'm interested in the 10x42 .

cheers, Peter

Hi Trevor

For purposes of comparison, wondering if you have transmission curves or overall transmission figures for the Torics? I'm interested in the 10x42 .

cheers, Peter

Hi Peter,

I don't have the LT% in front of me now, but I will get it and post it here as soon as I can. I will also inquire if our development department has put the information into a chart to track the transmission curve, and if so, will post that as well.

Thanks!

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post
I'm gonna' go ahead and disagree greatly with zzz... as will most of the people who have handled the GR HD. The biggest issue with it was the weight and cost. I owned the 8x32 HD and it was phenomenal glass, easily comparable optically with the 8x32 T*FL and Ultravid HD I examined it against... Mostly gotten rid of because it was several oz heavier than other 8x32s and it had somewhat tricky eye-placement when I used glasses...

I agree 100% with the above, having extensive use of the 8x32 and 10x42 GR HD's. Some people's egos will not let them live in the real world. Off topic I know , but I'm wrapping up 10 days in Namibia as we speak. There are several sets of Swarovski SLC WB, a conquest HD in 8x42, a Leupold Mojave HD 10x42, and my Tract Toric 8x42 here in camp, which are Japanese, and are substantially better than anything else here.

This new Tract binocular certainly clouds some issues. If the Tract Toric is as good as you say it is and I'm sure it is, it's some quality optics on the cheap. Consider this $654 MIJ binocular, a Maven B1($900), and a Zeiss Conquest HD(we'll say $950). Throw in a Meopta B1($800) and the new ZenRay ED4 for $559....all make the Tract Toric look like one of the better deals around.

This new Tract binocular certainly clouds some issues. If the Tract Toric is as good as you say it is and I'm sure it is, it's some quality optics on the cheap. Consider this $654 MIJ binocular, a Maven B1($900), and a Zeiss Conquest HD(we'll say $950). Throw in a Meopta B1($800) and the new ZenRay ED4 for $559....all make the Tract Toric look like one of the better deals around.

Hi Chuck,

You brought up a great point...and why we can bring out as just as good, if not better quality bino at better pricing is due to our business model. We are only direct to consumer. Normally retailers make 40-50 points at brick and mortar, and at least 30-40 points on ecomm. We are removing that middle man and going direct to you, so you don't need to pay that added margin.

I've sold optics for years in both settings, most of the time not being able to afford what I sold even though I knew what we paid for it and what it cost the manufacturer. Now working with Tract, you can really get some brand new outstanding optics at prices I've never dreamed of in my years of sales and development.

Trevor
Tract Optics

Thanks Trevor for your response to my post! Not many manufacturers will actually put themselves out there on forums such as this. I think it's good for PR to do so.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back