• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sibley guide (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
Apart from cover, publisher and price can anybody tell me the difference between 'The Sibley guide to birds' and 'the Sibley North American bird guide' both second editions.

Regards Gerard.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 74
Apart from cover, publisher and price can anybody tell me the difference between 'The Sibley guide to birds' and 'the Sibley North American bird guide' both second editions.

I have only a copy of the latter, snapped up for a bargain at Half Price Books in Austin, Texas (USA). It's published by Bloomsbury, part of the Helm field guide series (generally intended for European distribution). I haven't perused the North American product ("Guide to Birds") but would be surprised by any but trivial differences.

Gary H

Thank Gary, Glad to here they are more or less the same as the latter 'North American' is €10 cheaper.

Regards Gerard.

Interesting to see that despite similar species and pose on the two covers they appear to be two different paintings. It is almost like a 'spot the difference' puzzle.

I have only a copy of the latter, snapped up for a bargain at Half Price Books in Austin, Texas (USA). It's published by Bloomsbury, part of the Helm field guide series (generally intended for European distribution). I haven't perused the North American product ("Guide to Birds") but would be surprised by any but trivial differences.

Gary H

There have been discussions on this topic before http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=260297&highlight=sibley+second+edition&page=7

The problem was that the original second edition used a font that is by no means user friendly. There were some other issues as well on this otherwise excellent book. So when a second printing was due, the issues were dealt with. But this happened only in the US version as the European (Bloomsbury/Helm) one did not need a second printing. At least that was the situation when I quit following the issue. So to be on the safe side, one should get a US (Knopf) version. All the major sellers will certainly have had the second printing for some time now.

A quick way to check would be a look at the male Scarlet Tanager on page 541. If it is a rather plum-colored red, it is the first printing. Though I must say that even in the second printing, that red is a bit too dark. Or the black of the wing is a bit too subdued, thus giving less contrast to the red than there should be.

Last edited:
Interesting to see that despite similar species and pose on the two covers they appear to be two different paintings. It is almost like a 'spot the difference' puzzle.

Yes, quite an interesting difference. On my second printing version I have the bird (it's a male Magnolia Warbler) from the Bloomsbury edition. So it seems one can tell the two (Knopf) printings apart without even opening the book. Wide eye-stripe plus visible white tail spots means second printing in the Knopf edition.

Edit: I just noticed that the blues of the writing on the cover differ as well. In the second printing, the blue is no longer a sky blue. Rather, it has a darker somewhat greyish appearance, somewhat similar to the color used for "North American" on the Bloomsbury cover.

Last edited:
So to be on the safe side, one should get a US (Knopf) version.

All things being equal that's probably the best advice. But I'm satisfied with my copy of the Helm (UK) version for less than half the US price and the compromise is relatively marginal.

Gary H

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back