• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular ramblings (1 Viewer)

At least three are in the trunk of the car, they work hard and shake around the rest of the time. One is up front near the driver, a cheap 8x25.

The rest are at home, for birding weekends.

Where are yours?

The newest one is here with me at work. One is on its way via UPS while another is coming via DHL. Another is at Nikon getting some work done and all the others are at home.

You asked. ;)

At least the binoculars get to travel at this time of year, even if we don't. ;)

I had forgotten to list my Minolta 8x25 compacts, my favorite ones from this year. They are either in my coat pocket or briefcase at all times, so they take lots of short trips. When going out of town, they have some other binocular pal to travel with, usually a reverse porro if it is not a birding trip. They hang out with the Kaufman field guide, old edition. I have not carried my new Kaufman to the field as it is autographed. ;)

Last edited:
WHERE YOUR BINOCULARS ARE, continued

Now my Tasco 7x porro is homeless. I tried to give it to someone at work, no takers so far. It is sitting in a spot where someone might want to claim it.

OK, it has a happy home now.

Over the years, these were abandoned/adopted by someone/sold
Meade 10x roof prism, or was it an 8x mislabeled 10x? the eye cups fell apart
Bushnell 16x porro
Orion something reverse porro
Barska 10x porro, went to nature center
Bushnell 12x roof prism, gave to my son, never seen since (the binocular, not the son)

Last edited:
Tero said:

Now my Tasco 7x porro is homeless. I tried to give it to someone at work, no takers so far. It is sitting in a spot where someone might want to claim it.

OK, it has a happy home now.

Over the years, these were abandoned/adopted by someone/sold
Meade 10x roof prism, or was it an 8x mislabeled 10x? the eye cups fell apart
Bushnell 16x porro
Orion something reverse porro
Barska 10x porro, went to nature center
Bushnell 12x roof prism, gave to my son, never seen since (the binocular, not the son)

:'D lets hope not!

I made a Finn stick today, intended for long staring at ducks and gulls. It does not attach to the binoculars so I need at least one hand up there to hold it. It is pretty steady. One problem: does not fit into the trunk of my car, it needs to inside, so I may have a problem with passengers. I do have a ski hole from the trunk to the inside, will try that. I have a monopod, I would need to rig a piece of wood at the top to use IT as aFinn stick.

Customise to suit your eyes.

Trashbird - it is possible for a binocular technician to deliberately mis-align your bino to suit your eye alignment. I know, 'cos I have done it for three customers this year. Means it is difficult for anyone else to use your bino b ut the alignment can be reset if you decide to sell the bino. You will have to visit the workshop and keep checking the alignment as it is slowly adjusted. Safe to give you my web site as we don't live close enough and I can't be accused of touting for business. It is www.actionoptics.co.uk Good luck.

An update, the Leica 8x32 BNs arrived that afternoon, my Nikon LXs are due back on Friday and the third pair should show up on Monday. I must say I am absolutely stunned by these little Leicas. They really are everything that everyone has been touting them to be. I cannot believe the resolution, and even brightness, levels considering how compact they are. My short term impression is that they are going to be keepers and will be added to the collection.

My simple resolution test is how far I can distinguish Eurasian Tree Sparrows from House Sparrows. We have both. Those binoculars that just were not up to that simple task are gone. They are good for close up views of bird feeders 30 feet away.

So, are you going out in the field with the Leicas this weekend?

For those of you that sell binoculars, what can you expect to get for binoculars in the under 400 range? I am guessing about half price, less if worn looking.

Are you asking what you can get for a binocular which is used but originally sold for $400? I think your summary of the actual physical condition of the binocular would, in large part, determine what I would expect to receive for it. That coupled with how popular the binocular brand name is and the respected price range. Many folks are only willing to spend a specific amount....say $300 or so.

Well, just wanted to give a range. The over 400 binoculars, probably, retain more of the original value, especially if warranty transfers.

In that case I think half price is a fair amount. I sold a pair of Monarchs last year for just over $200 when they originally went for about $300. The brand name coupled with the popularity of that particular model is what probably moved them for better than 2/3rds their original price. You have to watch though. The more expensive the bin the more folks tend to look for any imperfections in it....be it optical, mechanical or cosmetic.

Tero said:
For those of you that sell binoculars, what can you expect to get for binoculars in the under 400 range? I am guessing about half price, less if worn looking.
Tero,

I would expect two thirds of the original price or even current price, if the binocular is in almost perfect shape. Although, perusing the world famous online auction site, which I shall leave unnamed, may give a better idea of what something is worth.

I recently sold a $575 binocular for $405, shipping included, through Astromart's classified. The buyer was quite pleased, so I might have squeezed another $20 or $25 on the price, but Astromart does not take a per centage on the sale. He did not use that well known online payment service which takes another 3% of the total price. The buyer, who was not a collector, did not mind the used strap and case, nor the worn box but the finish, optics and mechanics of the binocular were like new. In fact, I do not want to deal with collectors, but that should not be problem in the under $400 range.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

OK, thanks. I will ask for slightly over half, selling in local free press, no postage to send, and no checks, cash only. Otherwise, if it does not sell, I can list it here.

It is now listed right above this, in the "sports" section:
$100, Left Handed Professional Hockey Sticks
it was the closest section I could find, and hunters read it.

Last edited:
I took the 10x25 Prostaffs for a last lunch time walk. I was able to follow a flying gull, despite the narrow 260ft FOV. I also had the 9x25, saw as much gull an FOV was an improved 290 something. Also brighter. If you are used to 10x and need something compact, I still recommend these for a "glove compartment" bin, either 9x Travelite or ProStaff.

The 10x25 are in a box waiting for a buyer. In the winter I will take my old 10x36 Sporters for the luch time walks to look for eagles. They are usually on the other side of the Mississippi. The Sporters have spent weeks in my trunk with no problems yet. I never keep them there in hot summer weather.

I have now sold the ProMasters, I got 60 dollars, 43% of what I paid. I did not want to post it for a second week.

I tested brightness last night:
1. Monarch 10x42 brightest
2. Nikon Sporter 10x36 dimmer, not bad
3. Pro Staff 10x25 reverse porros
It was even a bigger step down in brightness.
They are good for medium distance on a bright day, but at long distance the Monarch clearly beat them at image clarity.

I would really love to see what a phase coated version of the Sporters would be like. Though the Monarchs are lighter I think that a phase coated Sporter with click-stop eyecups would be preferable to me in terms of design. The eyepiece design of the Sporter seemed superior to me for some reason. The width of the ocular lens and the bins overall build seemed similar to that of the Venturer. It would have been interesting had they not been discontinued.

Yeah, I still like the Sporter, other than the eye cups. I have rubber bands holding them, actually from tire inner tubes. The Monarch eye cups are slightly better.

The Sporter is probably among the best non phase coated roofs out there.

I now have only two 10x in use, the old Sporter and Monarch 10x42. That one is still my happiest purchase. But it also my best kept bin, so it is home a lot. I had some dim 10x Bushnell roofs. Tried to keep them at work, but in the end, I could see less with them than the Travelite 9x25 reverse porro. So the Travelite works for casual walks. I can get to the Mississippi at lunch time, walk a bit. May see a few eagles through the winter. I watched a distant flock of Starlings or blackbirds today, and one red tailed hawk.

In the car I have a 8x32 roof prism that works for birding in city parks. I guess I could replace it with something better, but then I would not keep it in the car.

For local Audubon birding trips I bring the Monarch and some other 8x. I tried a few pair in the sunset today at a nature center. The 9x25 did as well in the dim light as the 8x32 roof, but has smaller FOV.

I had some 7x porros to check out for a while, just to see how 7x works for me. The small apparent FOV bothered enough that I gave them away. This is not to say that 7x40 would not work, if it was a good bin. But not for me right now.

Tero,

I find it amusing when I visualize you out on an Audubon trip switching back and forth between two sets of bins to see which serves you better for that particular situation. I am sure you probably do not do that but it is the image I conjure when I read posts like the last one you made. I shouldn't laugh though as Mr. Traynor and I have spent quite a bit of time doing much the same thing when we are up sitting on the local hawkwatch. We often joke about it afterwards. Many of the other birders there must think we are amusing at times as well. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back