• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Sparrow type bird? Can anyone ID? (1 Viewer)

Frogbad

I am posting this on behalf of my father who saw this bird. My father lives in Benfleet, Essex backing onto the Hadleigh nature reserve and Thames Estuary Can anyone give any suggestions for an ID?

"The bird was virtually pure white with no visible other markings and was in the company of about 6-8 sparrows who seemed perfectly happy to accept it, and at first I presumed it was an albino sparrow. Otherwise, had it been on its own it resembled a white canary.
it was slightly longer than the sparrows, particularly the tail, and the beak was more pointed."

I have a couple of pictures that were grabbed on a camcorder (follow the links below)

WhiteTail.jpg

Whitehead.jpg

Last edited:
I have looked through a wide variety of books that I own and cannot find anything that even comes close - so I am assuming it is probably an escapee?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back