• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (3 Viewers)

Got lucky here.

The harriers are - easier - as they fly low and return now and then. But though it was early and not that hot, hot air became a problem fast as he was very low over the field. Detail suffered on pic 1, because of this I think.

Very rare that I get these opportunities, since I raely shoot wetlands, and not all have harriers, so it was fun.
I am inclined to agree that Harriers are among the easiest birds of prey to get good pictures of since they will often fly relatively low and the hunting habits are more predictable hence it often pays off to wait at a good spot, but having all parameters converge is a bit of luck.

Still, these are fine captures, well done!

Last edited:
Little Tern

Pity the sun just got obscured by clouds.

Attachments

• Little Tern (Sternula albifrons)_8.jpg
    Little Tern (Sternula albifrons)_8.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 64
Got lucky here.

The harriers are - easier - as they fly low and return now and then. But though it was early and not that hot, hot air became a problem fast as he was very low over the field. Detail suffered on pic 1, because of this I think.

Very rare that I get these opportunities, since I raely shoot wetlands, and not all have harriers, so it was fun.

Nice photos Carlos. I tried my luck at raptors with the scope last fall and it was a disaster.

Your Harrier is quite different from the Northern Harrier we have here.

Regards
Jules

Pied Avocet

I am quite pleased with this one.

TS102, E-M5 800 ISO

Attachments

• Pied Avocet (Recurvirostra avosetta)_17.jpg
    Pied Avocet (Recurvirostra avosetta)_17.jpg
    683.5 KB · Views: 71
Ringed Plover

A long shot sequence that turned out OK. I wish this small wader had chosen a closer path for more details, but you can't always get what you want.

TS102 700mm + 50% crops of E-M5 frames

Attachments

• Ringed Plover (Charadrius hiaticula)_3.jpg
    Ringed Plover (Charadrius hiaticula)_3.jpg
    864.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Ringed Plover (Charadrius hiaticula)_4.jpg
    Ringed Plover (Charadrius hiaticula)_4.jpg
    834.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Ringed Plover (Charadrius hiaticula)_5.jpg
    Ringed Plover (Charadrius hiaticula)_5.jpg
    814.6 KB · Views: 47
very good "skärfläcka" - never seen one live.

And the wader as well - but getting them closer and being fast flyers, you risk getting one of those (se pic) ;-)

full frame, and never one focused...:p (but that's me - your skills are waay better :) )

Attachments

• P6151741.jpg
    P6151741.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 65
At last... the photos of my trip to Florida are on my Web site

It took me 2 months, on and off, to process the 4000 photos of my birding trip to the Florida wetlands. 165 of the 4000 photos taken are published on my Web site.

23 of these (14%) were taken with the SkyWatcher 80ED. The one I like best, the Red-shouldered Hawk in flight, was taken with the scope. I used the scope for 5 of the 25 best (20%) :t:

The photos can be seen here:
http://julesgobeil.com/photo/floride/?lang=en

Regards
Jules

Last edited:
It took me 2 months, on and off, to process the 4000 photos of my birding trip to the Florida wetlands. 165 of the 4000 photos taken are published on my Web site.

23 of these (14%) were taken with the SkyWatcher 80ED. The one I like best, the Red-shouldered Hawk in flight, was taken with the scope. I used the scope for 5 of the 25 best (20%) :t:

The photos can be seen here:
http://julesgobeil.com/photo/floride/?lang=en

Regards
Jules
THANKS for sharing these, Jules! Many many great pics! Love the balancing moorhen! It looks like a wonderful experience being able to see all that. (the hawk in flight was stunning)

Thanks Jules,

Nice pictures, seems you had a great trip.

Sharing a few more decent BIF taken with the TS102. ~75-80% crops. My keeper rate is gradually increasing.

Attachments

• Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)_23.jpg
    Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)_23.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea)_23.jpg
    Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea)_23.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Pied Avocet (Recurvirostra avosetta)_18.jpg
    Pied Avocet (Recurvirostra avosetta)_18.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 49
Back from three weeks + on the road, Sweden and northern Germany. It will take a while to work through everything, but here is a start.
14279138028_a3c7d25904_o.jpg
Our friend Tord, still hard at work at the end of a long, hot, beautiful day of chasing birds around Skane o:D Great day, great locations and great fun. More to follow....

Thanks, Tord.
This is one of my favorites, but unfortunately I missed the focus. :-C
14463321861_cdbe6fbcfa_o.jpg

Such beautiful birds! We can't thank you enough for showing them to us.

You are welcome. Shame about the 20 cm OOF, enough to be noticeable. I have (or rather had) quite a few with similar OOF issues, all deleted. However before deleting the files I checked the features of each Kite and counted 63 individuals. Was a great day, and a great show. Auto-focus would have been useful.

Yes, for sure.... I am beginning to dream Canon again... I'm hopeless! :-C
I found that I had a considerably higher keeper rate with flight shots with the Nikon, especially if I was shooting burst mode. Had a lot of Avocets flying around cursing at me in Germany. One afternoon I shot 600+ shots with the E-M1+ Canon 400/5.6 USM, naturally MF, and 18 (!!) were really sharp, and only two ended up being good shots. With the Nikon and the ancient Nikkor 400/5.6 I had 5 or 6 times as many keepers, but the lens is not as good as the Canon lens, less contrast and much more CA. The EVF flickers too much and blacks out during burst so it is very hard to follow, not to mention focus. Especially hard against the light as birds in flight so often are. As you said, wrong tool for the job. Autofocus?...more like outafocus!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back