• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seemingly the bird of the moment.. (1 Viewer)

Having seen my first paradise-flycatcher this spring (an Asian in Uzbekistan), I must say that you really capture the look of the family, excellent stuff!

I always look like crap walking around London, don't sweat it

Love this latest Ads, it's gotta be a dead cert surely. I know what you mean about the different ideas on wildlife art though, I've never even bothered for that very reason. (Well that and the money!)

Mike

Here's the finished piece - actually on time (although it did mean another night without sleep....) I put it down to my uncanny expertise of leaving things to the last minute....;)

African Paradise-Fly (Large).jpgAfrican Paradise-Fly detail (2) (Large).jpgAfrican Paradise-Fly detail (3) (Large).jpgAfrican Paradise-Fly detail (4) (Large).jpg

Popped over to look at the stunning work in this year's BP Portrait Award...wow!! Did anyone else go see it?? A huge and frankly very disturbing picture of a kid in red makes me wonder who the hell would want that gawping down at them (creepy!)...but not as disturbing as the 'Last portrait of Mum' - painted from life by her daughter 3 days afer her death...hmmmmmm. Must start painting in oils......

.but not as disturbing as the 'Last portrait of Mum' - painted from life by her daughter 3 days afer her death....

OMG Really?!! this is a true french still life which they call caput mortem (SP?)

Good luck with your beautiful painting, really did the bird justice....

OMG Really?!! this is a true french still life which they call caput mortem (SP?)

I nipped in for a look at that and others- fantastically interesting bit o' work and not a million miles from what the natural history artists do; the commitment involved in painting it and mastering the detail as a way of signalling the strength of the artists relationship with the subject

meantimes Ads finished piece- i think its very classy: about Wednesday I was looking at the butterfly and thinking oooh: hopefully he will crank up the colour on the bird just to meet it, and there it now is

Cheers Ed - more by luck than judgement the top 2 graphite flys are actually looking at the butterfly too!
As to the Portrait exhibit, indeed, I'd love to know how long one of those big pieces takes....like the dark one with the music quartet. Also I personally thought the painting of the little boy holding the big stick standing guard over his 'patch' was just amazing...

Fine work indeed Ads - why can't id publications have plates like this??? - I feel I would know this bird in an instant from these images!

Adam,
Fantastic stuff.
I managed to zip through your entire thread, something I can't do anymore with the elders of the community;)
I love watching the process. Thanks for showing how the magic works!
Beth

Adam thats an amazing piece of an equaly amazing bird. The BP awards are always a treat to look at. My good friend and colegue Mitch Griffiths was discoverd at the very same show.

Cheers Andy, Beth
Well, the flycatcher was accepted for the SWLA show, which is good - didn't win nowt, but then again I think I'm a bit too traditional for them - and proud of it!! ;)

It is great to see the finished piece! I love the mixed media. You all appear to be entering the same shows across the pond - it's interesting to read about from here. They seem to get good involvement and communication going, and perhaps you all actually get to see each other (and the work) in person from time to time!

Thanks Catherine - the SWLA is a big wildlife exhibition so it's all good exposure to be involved and they showcase alot of various styles (for better or worse sometimes!;)). I hope people do like the style of the latest pic as I've got quite a few I'd like to do. Been thinking of maybe separating the different medias a bit more and then using the mountboard to 'frame' them individually within the actual frame, so have the colour part in the middle say, and two blocks of sketches either side of it.....will see how it goes. Or I'll just stick with the 'refined' sketchbook look....Dusky Broadbills next I reckon
Nick - cheers mate (where have you been??) but I can't for a moment believe you can shut-up!!!! :-O:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back