• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding investigation. (1 Viewer)

jnicholes

Hey everyone!

I need a little bit of help with something. I've been noticing that a lot of house sparrows have been found dead in my front yard. I have no idea what is killing them. So far, two house sparrows have died of unknown causes by my house.

Naturally, I am concerned for the Birds visiting my feeder. I dont know if something I am doing is killing them. I havent done anything except fill the feeder two days ago.

Currently investigating, will let you know if I find anything. Dont want any more birds to die.

Any advice on what I should do will be appreciated.

Jared

How many have died, you say " a lot in your front yard" then "two of unknown causes by your house".

What total numbers of dead House Sparrows have you found so far?

Just feed good quality food, clean the feeders regularly and provide fresh water.

Good luck.

Sorry, I was walking with my dog when I was typing that. I got a little distracted and forgot to delete the part that said a lot.

2 have died.

I apologize about the confusion.

Jared

"by my house" suggests window collision to me. Might be worth fitting some hawk silhouettes in the windows to make the sparrows think again about flying into them :t:

After further investigation, I conclude that @Nutcracker it's probably right. One was found dead on my doorstep, literally, the other was found dead in the yard. It could be window Collision.

So far, no more have been found dead. So whatever the problem was, it's gone now.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back