• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tree frog? QC, Canada (1 Viewer)

jasperpatch

Amy, Brit in Quebec.
This little frog was sleeping on one of our kayaks this morning. Approx 1 inch long. We've been hearing frog calls in the woods in the evenings this week, but I confess to knowing nothing about them.
Habitat wise, this was 5 ft from the edge of a large fresh water lake. Mixed woodland.
Thank you.

Attachments

• back view.jpg
    back view.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 28
  • hypnotic.jpg
    hypnotic.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 23
  • small side view frog.jpg
    small side view frog.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 32
Gray Tree Frog. They have quite a variable appearance. This was in Val-des-Monts, just north of Ottawa, correct? If so, that is near the very northern edge of their range.

Gray Tree Frog. They have quite a variable appearance. This was in Val-des-Monts, just north of Ottawa, correct? If so, that is near the very northern edge of their range.

Thank you. Yes, that's where I was. I'll do some reading up, although this is only the second time I've seen one. I'll listen to some call recordings too as that is usually how we know they are about.

Thanks again.

I made the original ID at work without my field guide, and I should have waited! Also, the small size should have tipped me off.

This isn't a Gray Tree Frog after all - it's a Spring Peeper. All the Peepers I've seen down here are yellow-ish - I've never seen one this gray but the book says it's possible. That dark X pattern on the back is also common on Peepers, and it fits the face pattern better. The range is a better fit, too - they range up to about 200 km north of your location.

Sorry about that!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back