Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Horizon 8115 Tripod - Best Head Replacement

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 08:31   #1
BadgerGirl
Registered User
 
BadgerGirl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: l
Posts: 28
Horizon 8115 Tripod - Best Head Replacement

Hi there
I have this tripod & I'm not a fan of its quick release plate, or frankly its head. I can't see that any other quick release plate base is going to fit it as it has a non standard (4 screw) mounting screw setup so...
Have any of you got this tripod & replaced either the head or quick release plate?

Any head replacement suggestions please for heads suitable for a spotting scope weighing 1.6kgs.

Last edited by BadgerGirl : Sunday 12th November 2017 at 12:09. Reason: realised I was probably looking at total head replacement
BadgerGirl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 12th November 2017, 18:41   #2
Binastro
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.England
Posts: 4,572
I didn't know the head could be replaced on Horizon tripods. Interesting.
Binastro is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 13th November 2017, 21:08   #3
jring
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,105
Hi,

seems to have a 1/4" screw... so a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter is needed.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/5...n-8115-tripod/

Joachim
jring is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 11:11   #4
BadgerGirl
Registered User
 
BadgerGirl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: l
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binastro View Post
I didn't know the head could be replaced on Horizon tripods. Interesting.
Yeah I know that over on the stargazers forum they have mentioned it in passing. Also I dismantled it the other day it has a standard 1/4 screw.

Any suggestions on what head to go for?
BadgerGirl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 12:11   #5
Rotherbirder
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 910
A Manfrotto 700RC2 should fulfil your requirements with a small scope; reasonably cheap, simple to operate & lightweight but some have expressed QC issues so perhaps try before you buy? I have no problems with a Leica APO Televid 62 on this head - works like a dream!
Rotherbirder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 15:25   #6
Proterra
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 29
Have a look at the Kingjoy heads on ebay. It's a direct ripoff of the Manfrotto but everything as good at 1/3 price. Plus it takes the Manfrotto plate so I got 3 one for scope 1 for telephoto lens and one for camera.
Proterra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 20:45   #7
jring
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,105
Hi,

I am a fan of the Mafrotto 500AH for my 1.6kg scope - mainly because it is more stable than the 128RC or 700RC2. Also it allows to vary the position of the scope so it can be properly balanced, which I think necessary. One can even get an extra long plate if that is needed for a heavy camera.

The Kingjoy video/birdwatching heads look nice on the site but I haven't used them and thus cannot really comment.

Joachim
jring is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 08:06   #8
BadgerGirl
Registered User
 
BadgerGirl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: l
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotherbirder View Post
A Manfrotto 700RC2 should fulfil your requirements with a small scope; reasonably cheap, simple to operate & lightweight but some have expressed QC issues so perhaps try before you buy? I have no problems with a Leica APO Televid 62 on this head - works like a dream!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proterra View Post
Have a look at the Kingjoy heads on ebay. It's a direct ripoff of the Manfrotto but everything as good at 1/3 price. Plus it takes the Manfrotto plate so I got 3 one for scope 1 for telephoto lens and one for camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jring View Post
Hi,

I am a fan of the Mafrotto 500AH for my 1.6kg scope - mainly because it is more stable than the 128RC or 700RC2. Also it allows to vary the position of the scope so it can be properly balanced, which I think necessary. One can even get an extra long plate if that is needed for a heavy camera.

The Kingjoy video/birdwatching heads look nice on the site but I haven't used them and thus cannot really comment.

Joachim
Genuinely appreciate these I'll be looking through all of them today. Also I'd much prefer a head without an integral quick release plate. I want the freedom to choose my own & change it if I want.
I'm hoping to be prepared with a list of *possibles* in time for the black Friday sale on Amazon two days from now (of course I also want a Panasonic Mirrorless G80)
Feel free to add more ideas. I'll be popping back regularly to see

Extra information I'm using the tripod for my bridge camera as well now & hopefully be upgrading to a mirrorless with a telephoto lens in the next year. The tripod I love the, head is a nightmare.

Last edited by BadgerGirl : Wednesday 15th November 2017 at 08:18.
BadgerGirl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 09:02   #9
BadgerGirl
Registered User
 
BadgerGirl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: l
Posts: 28
I'm liking the Kingjoy very much indeed but it doesn't look like I can remove the QR base plate to replace it. Unless anyone knows differently. ....

And I've discovered that every dratted tripod head on the market now has an integral QR plate.....arghhhhh! That did not used to be the case 10 yrs ago.
As I'm not willing to attach a QR base plate to the top plate of the tripod's integral QR System to get the QR system I want. I'm now looking for any half decent pan & tilt/video head that doesn't have a QR base plate or has one that can be removed.
This chap understands
"Are QR systems getting mandatory on every tripod head?"
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4198326

Last edited by BadgerGirl : Wednesday 15th November 2017 at 10:51.
BadgerGirl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 11:14   #10
pete_gamby
Birds? What Birds?!

 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Welwyn Garden City
Posts: 1,021
Berlebach has a pan head without QR plate but it's not priced like the Kingjoy:

https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=de...prache=english

HTH

Cheers, Pete
pete_gamby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 12:18   #11
henry link
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: north carolina
Posts: 4,398
This version of the Manfrotto 128 is still available.

https://www.manfrotto.us/micro-fluid-two-way-video-head

It's cheap, doesn't have a built in QR plate and in my experience is quite stable, certainly the most stable of the 128 variants.
henry link is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 13:18   #12
Proterra
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGirl View Post
I'm liking the Kingjoy very much indeed but it doesn't look like I can remove the QR base plate to replace it. Unless anyone knows differently. ....

And I've discovered that every dratted tripod head on the market now has an integral QR plate.....arghhhhh! That did not used to be the case 10 yrs ago.
As I'm not willing to attach a QR base plate to the top plate of the tripod's integral QR System to get the QR system I want. I'm now looking for any half decent pan & tilt/video head that doesn't have a QR base plate or has one that can be removed.
This chap understands
"Are QR systems getting mandatory on every tripod head?"
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4198326
Not sure what you mean. The qr plate is identical to the Manfrotto
The Quick Release Plate is Compatible with for Manfrotto heads that use the RC5 quick release system (501, 503 & 701 NG Heads).
Proterra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 13:50   #13
BadgerGirl
Registered User
 
BadgerGirl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: l
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proterra View Post
Not sure what you mean. The qr plate is identical to the Manfrotto
The Quick Release Plate is Compatible with for Manfrotto heads that use the RC5 quick release system (501, 503 & 701 NG Heads).
I don't want to use a QR system picked for me by the manufacturer I want the freedom to have none at all or one of my choosing. Doesn't make any difference if it is Manfrotto compatible or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_gamby View Post
Berlebach has a pan head without QR plate but it's not priced like the Kingjoy:

https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=de...prache=english

HTH

Cheers, Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry link View Post
This version of the Manfrotto 128 is still available.

https://www.manfrotto.us/micro-fluid-two-way-video-head

It's cheap, doesn't have a built in QR plate and in my experience is quite stable, certainly the most stable of the 128 variants.
Thanks both of you
That Manfrotto looks good I'll have to see if it is available here in the UK.

The other one that I've come across is the Slik Master Classic but I can't find videos to see it in action & think I may not be able to lock position easily or at all across the horizontal plane.

Last edited by BadgerGirl : Wednesday 15th November 2017 at 14:14.
BadgerGirl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ED50 replacement head dwatsonbirder Tripod and Heads 5 Wednesday 16th August 2017 14:48
Replacement tripod for Velbon Sherpa Pro CF-535? ChrisCathrine Tripod and Heads 2 Wednesday 20th April 2011 08:50
wimberely head / replacement foot combo peteh Photographic Tripods / Heads 1 Monday 27th September 2010 18:43
Great Legs, Bad Head, Zhumell WDF4 tripod and head Lou H Tripod and Heads 0 Thursday 9th November 2006 15:18

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.13836288 seconds with 25 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:51.