• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HB, a juvenile? Lunigiana Italy (1 Viewer)

Kinthissa

Since seeing two juvenile Honey-buzzards this season, a dark chocolate one on the 1st and a very white bird on 2nd September (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=366863), I've been looking out keenly for them. No HBs have been up in the skies (unless too high to see), but low over the oaks here I've had two brief glimpses of what looked to have been a dark juvenile (no photos). The last adults I saw were the pair soaring with the dark juvenile on 1st September.

On 9th September around noon, I was standing with a friend on the eastern side of a big field in the next valley, when suddenly there was a volley of gun-shots from the hunting place further west (it sounded like practice shooting on the premises, lots of volleys all afternoon). At that first explosion of noise, a buzzard-sized raptor flew out of trees at the far southwest corner of the field and into an oak along the field's western boundary. Some moments later, I saw it exit from that oak to fly further on across the field to a larger lone oak. As I made my way towards that tree, it flew out again, not to the near woods bordering the field to the north, but covering the much longer distance southwards, back across the field to return to the woods from which it had been disturbed.

Supple fluid wings low over the field, it appeared to be of a light warm colour under the midday September sun.

I must have been mesmerized, I did not have my usual responses (chatty friend by my side). But it meant that I got to see the bird more properly than if I had been looking for the camera or binoculars. I watched it fly those three stretches, the third time a good distance all the way across an open field. I took only a single photo before it reached the woods it wished to return to, by the stream.

Its behaviour chimes well with my idea of how the juveniles would be at the end of the season, trying to feed themselves on their own as secretively as possible before they set out. Not in the open, calling and soaring - around this time, there were 3 CBs in the air, and 2 STEs were over the slopes some minutes before, all with their calls. This bird had kept to itself, in the woods.

While I am still seeing in my mind's eye that bird's graceful flight low across the field, my husband who crops and re-sizes these photos for me said, "where is the bird?". Now he too finds the image intriguing.

Is it possible to see from this bleariest of photos if it was a Honey-buzzard? An ample tail with rounded corners, a dark terminal band with a white edge? I can't see if the uppertail coverts are pale. The left wing where it comes over the rump appears to be white-edged. Extensively dark fingers, pale hand, dark secondaries but with white in the coverts? I have never noticed so much white in the upperwings of adults [just found this in Forsman, with photo of a juvenile : "Lighter birds often show a pale area on the upperwing coverts" ... I guess we can't see that reliably in this photo].

Sorry for this long account; in the lateness of the season, the circumstances of the sighting feel to have been special, and so I decided to post. If it's unlikely that it was an HB, it would be better to know! And if it was an HB (a juvenile?), it would give me a glimpse of their habits and possible habitat.

Attachments

• p1440432.jpg
    p1440432.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 83
Extract of key questions (so you will not need to read the long account!) :

- an ample tail with rounded corners, dark terminal band with white edge?

- can your ex-ray eyes discern pale uppertail coverts?

- the tertials (of left wing) showing a white edge?

- (left wing) extensively dark fingers, pale hand, dark secondaries with white in the coverts?

I would just like to check with you what can be seen in this poor photo.

some pictures are simply too bad to give a comment, I also see a Honey but honestly this is only guessing and digital artefacts are numerous, the white tipped tail suggest juvenile too but a better pic may show a Short-toed Eagle or a Giant Wren

... a better pic may show a Short-toed Eagle or a Giant Wren

Tom, thank you for taking the time to look, would you believe I am happy enough with your comments.

Having watched the bird fly from tree to tree and then cross a big field, I think I would have recognized an STE of any age, so more likely it was a Giant Wren.

"Supple fluid wings" and "graceful flight" add to the likelihood that this is a HB.

Yes, Andrew. When on the 5th I spotted what looked like the dark juvenile of 1st September, I followed it and found it again when it gave a little call. I think they call when there is one of their kind to call to. So I was on double look-out.

On the 9th, the OP bird was seen in the same stretch of woods which run along a stream, good hunting ground for them. It was startled out of trees at the edge of the wood by that sudden volley of shots. It disappeared back into those trees it had flown out of. Just trying to piece it together.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back