• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1st-winter gull, UK (1 Viewer)

teamsaint

One for the gull experts to help me with. I saw this 1st-winter a few weeks ago in southern England. I made the following notes:

- Head white with a dark mask
- Breast white with some streaking/spotting
- Tertials dark with neat white edges
- Long-winged
- Bill all dark with obvious gonys angle

Is it a Yellow-legged Gull?

Attachments

• 411gull1.jpg
    411gull1.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 411gull2.jpg
    411gull2.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 411gull3.jpg
    411gull3.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 95
  • 411gull4.jpg
    411gull4.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 411gull5.jpg
    411gull5.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 59
Hard to be 100% certain but it certainly ought to be one with such a white head and breast. In my experience very few 1cy Herring look so pale so early in the 'winter'. You'd really like to see the extent of moult in the wing coverts, but due to the image quality (taken on a phone?) the detail is very vague. However there does seem to be some moult going on e.g. in pic 1. It also has a nice contrasy tail which looks good for 1cy YLG. I'd almost certainly log it as one ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts Steve, I do see a number of 1st-winter Herring Gulls at this site with white heads, but felt all the other features on this bird pointed to YLG rather than Herring

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back