• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taiga or red breasted flycatcher? (1 Viewer)

Somkiat

please help to id this flycatcher I'm not sure it is Taiga or red breasted flycatcher

Attachments

• RSCN6605.JPG
    RSCN6605.JPG
    750 KB · Views: 142
Hard to be certain on this single image. Are there any other photos?

Regarding the bill, I think this is within the range of variation of Taiga, which can show a pale pink base to the lower mandible.

The upper tail coverts appear quite black (=Taiga), but again, more images would help.

Last edited:
I am intreaged by the mention of a Red-breasted Flycatcher for it is a bird I have never heard of before as it is not in the book I use (Boonsong).

Here are a couple of photos both taken at Phu Suan Sai on different visits would you call them Red-breasted ?

Red-Breasted.JPG

Slaty-backed Flycatcher.JPG

Hard to be certain on this single image. Are there any other photos?

Regarding the bill, I think this is within the range of variation of Taiga, which can show a pale pink base to the lower mandible.

The upper tail coverts appear quite black (=Taiga), but again, more images would help.

I think the uppertail-covert shows slightly of brownish tinge but yes, more angle that can shows better individual's uppertail would be an ideal.

Robby, your 2nd bird could be Slaty-backed Flycatcher. Regarding Red-breasted Flycatcher, there are several birds that have been observed in Japan and Taiwan which was thought to be out of range before. So, for Thailand I think we should also have a closer look into this complex, too.

Last edited:
I am intreaged by the mention of a Red-breasted Flycatcher for it is a bird I have never heard of before as it is not in the book I use (Boonsong).

Here are a couple of photos both taken at Phu Suan Sai on different visits would you call them Red-breasted ?

View attachment 656916

View attachment 656917

The first is a female Cyornis (I'm not going to venture a guess to species), the second looks like a male Slaty-backed.

Thanks.
I had them both down as Slaty-backed but when the question of Red-breasted came up I took another look.

The first bird is not Slaty-backed; note the pale pinkish tarsus. It should be -- as john mentioned -- a female Cyornis but to determine the species is always a tough decision. I would suggest Hainan-Blue Flycatcher, anyways, far from certainty.

More photos of flycatcher.
Sorry for poor photos

Attachments

• IMG_20180327_100425.jpg
    IMG_20180327_100425.jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20180327_100103.jpg
    IMG_20180327_100103.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 33
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back