• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wagtail ? ID from UAE, 17.09.2018. (1 Viewer)

peterarras

Hi all,
who can help me with this juvenile Wagtail, please.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Peter

Attachments

• DSC_0544a1.jpg
    DSC_0544a1.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC_0545a.jpg
    DSC_0545a.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 200
I'd suggest that the head pattern fits Yellow Wagtail sp better. Not easy to be sure from these shots, but ear coverts look dark, and not isolated. A couple of images of juv Eastern Yellow Wagtail in oriental bird images show pretty striking wing bars. Like to hear more opinions on this bird.

I'd suggest that the head pattern fits Yellow Wagtail sp better. Not easy to be sure from these shots, but ear coverts look dark, and not isolated. A couple of images of juv Eastern Yellow Wagtail in oriental bird images show pretty striking wing bars. Like to hear more opinions on this bird.

My thought too.

Pure white undertail and longish tail also good for Citrine against Western Yellow, I didn't consider Eastern Yellow... are there records in Arabia ?

I checked online, it seems that feature given by Collins is wrong : there are many 1cy Citrine with pale lower mandible, may be even more than Easter Yellow, many having all black bill.

OP bird is similar to this one for example.

https://www.worldbirdphotos.com/wp-...ne-juv-2-Ranthambhore-India-Oct06-D100A_1.jpg

That's interesting Valéry, thanks for the link ;)

Did you find any images of Citrine with dark upper and pale lower mandibles? The bird in your link has extensive pink on both mandibles, almost as though there might be a pigment aberration?

I get the feeling we won't reach a confirmed ID on this one without better images...

Last edited:

Thanks for the additional links. Whilst I'm not disagreeing, I'm also not agreeing just yet, on the strength of these images.

Although there are certainly some pro-Citrine features, there are also a number of anomalous features too, which don't fit my expectation of typical Citrine. Of course that doesn't mean it's not an atypical Citrine, but I'd like to see some further input from others...and perhaps some more images...?

To summarise, the face pattern reminds me more of Yellow, the wing-bars-while quite bold, are fairly narrow, and most of the lower mandible appears pale pinkish, contrasting with an entirely dark upper mandible. Another worry is the very bold malar stripe. On their own any one of these features might be ok, but in combination, well I'm just not sure...?

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional links. Whilst I'm not disagreeing, I'm also not agreeing just yet, on the strength of these images.

Although there are certainly some pro-Citrine features, there are also a number of anomalous features too, which don't fit my expectation of typical Citrine. Of course that doesn't mean it's not an atypical Citrine, but I'd like to see some further input from others...and perhaps some more images...?

To summarise, the face pattern reminds me more of Yellow, the wing-bars-while quite bold, are fairly narrow, and most of the lower mandible appears pale pinkish, contrasting with an entirely dark upper mandible. Another worry is the very bold moustachial stripe. On their own any one of these features might be ok, but in combination, well I'm just not sure...?

That's because the bird has not yet finished its post-juvenile moult. I've seen thousands of Citrine (Nepal, Oman, UAE, Israël...) and it looks like usual Citrine for me.

Doesn't quite fall into same category but there was this in France last year - I post it because in the thread is a link to birding frontiers and another 'pale' yellow wagtail...

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=350801&highlight=wagtail

The discussion might be of relevant. Two wing bars and white under tail no face pattern etc...

I agree the bird is nearly in the same stage of post-juvenile moult, and indeed wingbars and UTC are similar. Thanks for sharing. I wonder what in the "jizz" make it a Yellow Wagtail at first sight.

I'm comparing photos online to try to find. I see two details that might make the jizz effect : blacker greater coverts and flight feathers in Citrine, giving a more contrasted wing bars effect, as well as white in tertials stronger. And general colour that is colder grey than in Yellow.

Interestingly, the bill of your bird looks all dark... the feature is definitely not reliable.

Ear coverts looks to be constant - the, almost on some, wrap round effect seems more constant feature. If you look at mine the face pattern almost identical to the yellow wagtails it was with... There is a tinge of yellow in the primaries so not 'black and white'...

If I'm honest I was still waiting for some analysis on mine - it went to an 'expert' last year but no come back, as yet. It was put down as an interesting yellow...

Advancved Bird ID handbook

Citrine - Narrow Black eye stripe and moustacial stripe often distinct
- ear coverts completely whitish framed by super, rearside of ear coverts and sub moustachial stripe
- weakly patterned lore - in yellow dark loral stripe and more sharply bordered super before eye
- black bill (rarely paler at base) - in yellow pale base to lower mandible
- pure white undertail cov's

The handbook goes on to say that 'pure' white yellow (underparts) occur but only in eastern populations... For sykes - mantle and scaps grey-brown contrasting with grey back and rump.

So I think a side head shot is needed. I have looked on the web and subject to they being correctly identified (I have to say one CW from waterford 2009 looks like my yellow) there are a handful of citrine without the ear surround - this could be down to angle on a couple but def lacking on one or two. To summise there are pro features and negative but the negative face pattern (from this angle) coupled with the bill is becoming too many...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back