• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barn Owls. (1 Viewer)

BazR

bazr
Hi All. :t:

There's a short, but very exciting letter in this months Birds magazine (RSPB), from a man who has two Owl boxes on his land, 250 yards apart, and thinking there was an Owl in one he checked it to find chicks. He called in the 'pros' who checked both boxes to find, and ring 6 chicks. He wrote that when they fledged he often saw as many as 5 hunting together. Wouldn't it be wonderful if more people with room to do so, followed his example?

All the best to you All.
Baz. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hi Baz,
I totally agree with you it takes such a little time and effort to do so.
Our RSPB group is lucky in that we have a member who is also a farmer, and he has a pair of Barn Owls which nest regularly in a box he provided, the bonus for us is that we are allowed to go and view the adult birds hunting.
Regards

George

Lovely story Baz, and I thought I was lucky to see one last night! Must investigate the idea of boxes but wonder if the Owls would use them as they have plenty of sites in the forest and nearby barns I suppose. It might be worth a try, though.
Pam.

Go On!!

Paminfra said:
Lovely story Baz, and I thought I was lucky to see one last night! Must investigate the idea of boxes but wonder if the Owls would use them as they have plenty of sites in the forest and nearby barns I suppose. It might be worth a try, though.
Pam.
Hi Pam.
As is said, " nothing ventured, nothing gained." Give it a go, you never know your luck. :t:

Lucky indeed.

George Garner said:
Hi Baz,
I totally agree with you it takes such a little time and effort to do so.
Our RSPB group is lucky in that we have a member who is also a farmer, and he has a pair of Barn Owls which nest regularly in a box he provided, the bonus for us is that we are allowed to go and view the adult birds hunting.
Regards

George
Hi George.

You are indeed lucky; such easy access to beautiful birds is not often available, and when one tags on the almost certain sighting, WOW! Make the most it my friend.

All the best.
Baz. :flyaway:

Hi Baz & all,
What a difference it would make wouldn't it?
You've only got to see what a diference we all make by putting up Tit and Sparrow boxes in our small gardens but if all landowners were to do a similar thing imagine the sucess stories then!
Best wishes,

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back