• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Ontario grassland birds (1 Viewer)

Al Kat

I have two birds to check on there Id.The first birds head markings really have me wondering if I have this bird correct.Both bird pictures taken is Southern Ontario Canada in early July 2009

Thanks for any help any comments on age or some type of molt on bird one would be greatful.

Al Kat

Attachments

• Sparrow R  IMG_9969 copy.jpg
    Sparrow R IMG_9969 copy.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Bobolink R IMG_9975 copy.jpg
    Bobolink R IMG_9975 copy.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 167
To me the first bird looks like it might be a Savannah Sparrow carrying food for young. Short tail, heavy streaking, suitable habitat, etc.

I can not figure out what the second bird might be?

Works fine for me. It's just a photo I grabbed off the internet showing a female with streaking.

Best,
Jim

Forbidden for me too, Jim.

I suppose the first might be a Bobolink, but still does not look quite right to me. The second is a Bobolink. I guess I just had a "blind spot" when I looked at it!

I know nothing of bobolinks really and am hoping to get to know them. I take it the second one is a male in non-breeding plumage (breeding is quite black, right?). Does that make it 2nd cy or would an adult already have changed in early July?

Ok Jim, I figured so much. And yes quite black, I believe with some light markings on the wings and a little on the back with a yellow spot on the back of the head.

For more about bobolinks look at our Birdforum Opus page; notice the links to gallery and video search near the end of the page.

Niels

Jim, the link does not work for me, it says forbidden.

Mike,

The link probably doesn't work for you because of a web filter, often used at work. In my real life, I'm a CIO, and we limit access to certain web sites, including this photo repository. If someone has a legitimate business related reason to request access, it is then granted. A bit big-brother, but you'd be amazed at how streaming video, for example will eat up computer bandwidth. Sorry to get more detailed than you likely have any interest in.

Veagle

Pbase links generally don't work for me anyway. But they're both female(-aspect) Boblinks.

Pbase links generally don't work for me anyway. But they're both female(-aspect) Boblinks.

Whoops I read too quickly - I see. |:$| Hadn't caught that they were both females - quite different angles.

(I can't access the link either... sometimes get pbase sometimes don't - very mysterious to me...perhaps there is a variation on the settings the individual photographer sets up on pbase?)

Last edited:
Where in Southern Ontario were these pics taken? I know a few spots where these are regular birds, so perhaps I can be of assistance if I am familiar with the area?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back