• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATS 65mm for astronomical purpose. (1 Viewer)

albatrosviajero

Hello,
Has anyone been able to use the telescope Swa 65 ATS model with 20-60X for some astronomical observations? I have a good friend who would be interested in this topic ...
greetings

I've got the ATX in 95mm and 65mm apertures and have used it for astronomy over the past few weeks I've had it. I also have a Meade 90mm Maksutov-Cassegrain and an 8" Celestron SCT and they are obviously better for astronomy.

But..... as they say better, doesn't always mean most used!

If you have ever used binoculars for astronomy then you'll appreciate why a spotting scope makes an excellent tool also. The convenience of being able to manoeuvre it, transport it and point it right way up on a tripod to what you want to see is great.

It's not the best tool if all you'll do is astronomy, but even that is arguable if you go back to the fact that the best telescope is the one that you'll actually use!

Star hopping with the aid of an ipad app is a great way to pass evenings even in urban settings with light pollution. I'd steer your friend towards an 80+ mm aperture though as aperture is king with astronomy regardless of other factors.

Having been a Astronomer for over 30 years, I've had a few telescopes.
Zuiko is right in respect of aperture being king if your going to be serious about Astronomy. However, I must say that for casual, portable observing a well corrected apochromatic refractor is brilliant for astronomy.
On one occasion I've seen a 80mm apo refractor give cleaner and crisper images of Jupiter, compared to a 12 inch Schmidt–Cassegrain.
The Swarovski 65 HD scope is basically a compact apo refractor with coatings to suit day time viewing rather than night time. However, I don't see any reason not to use it for a Astronomy.
The only problem comes when you want to boost the magnification beyond 60x. A dedicated Astro refractor will have interchangeable eyepieces for this. Additionally a 65 or 80mm astro apo can be bought for half the price of the Swarovski.

Hope that helps

Cheers Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back