• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Here are the new modular Swarovski scopes (1 Viewer)

Most of the time, this bird showed only colour mainly in black and not the actual dark glossy green it has ! Unfortunately, it seldom perched on the tree. Electric cable will do for now hahaha :king:

Digiscoped with Swarovski STX 95 + TLS APO + Nikon D300s ~ 1350mm

Asian Glossy Starling

JAY_1468 Asian Glossy Starling.jpg

Last edited:
Most of the time, this bird showed only colour mainly in black and not the actual dark glossy green it has ! Unfortunately, it seldom perched on the tree. Electric cable will do for now hahaha :king:

Digiscoped with Swarovski STX 95 + TLS APO + Nikon D300s ~ 1350mm

Asian Glossy Starling

View attachment 433946

The coloration of birds like this depends not on pigmentation but rather interference of incident light causing the iridescenct greens, blues we see in birds.

The interesting thing is that the "black bird" is not black or green but rather colourless and the overall "colour" we see is really just due to interference of incident light rather than spectral absorption and reflectance that we see with pigments.

Don't know if this is a stupid question ? But if the TLS Apo adaptor increases the focal length of the scope, doesn't that increase the magnification of the zoom.

Cheers Tim

Don't know if this is a stupid question ? But if the TLS Apo adaptor increases the focal length of the scope, doesn't that increase the magnification of the zoom.

Cheers Tim

Tim,
The TLS APO adapter has a 30 mm lens built into it, so it is actually a simple 30 mm lens. This takes some magnification out. This also protects the camera sensor when you take it off the scope for observing.
Neil.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet but the plates for the DCB 11 Adapter have been redesigned since the UCA .
The UCA plates had two holes for changing the screw depending on where the tripod thread was located on the camera.
The DCB 11 plates have a long slot so it easy to adjust it to center of the camera lens.
Useful , as cameras like the Nikon Coolpix S9100 have tripod threads as far away from the middle as you can get.
Neil

Thanks Neil.

Compared my ATS-65 HD with 25-50x eyepiece to the ATX-95 today. Does anyone else notice more CA in the ATX at 50x ?

Tim

Thanks Neil.

Compared my ATS-65 HD with 25-50x eyepiece to the ATX-95 today. Does anyone else notice more CA in the ATX at 50x ?

Tim

Tim,
I have noticed some when digiscoping but I'm not sure if it's the scope or the camera. The TLS APO Adapter does show a little CA. The Sony RX 100 shows some CA anyway which is confusing. I'm in Sydney now with the STS80HD and STX95 so will try and do some testing.
Neil.

I got caught out in the bush in heavy rain this afternoon and my umbrella wasn't big enough to cover me and the scope. I hope it recovers by tomorrow.
Neil.

They should be ok Neil, there water proof !

Strangely however, I always put my bins and scope away when it rains. I'd rather get wet myself ?

Tim

Hio all,

Just got the Nikon V1 and got this Oriental Magpie Robin late afternoon at home.

Digiscoped with Swarovski STX 95 + TLS APO + Nikon V1 at ISO 100, 1/8s with cable release :king:

DSC_0231 Oriental Magpie Robin (1).jpg

Hio all,

I was testing the Nikon V1 today with friends and got this comparison shots showing the difference in bokeh. Distance was about 50 metres. No editing were done on the pictures.

Digiscoped with Swarovski STX 95 + TLS APO + Nikon V1 at ISO 200, 1/60s and 1/13s with cable release

At 30x and 70x ;)

DSC_0275 Bokeh.jpg DSC_0276 Bokeh.jpg

Last edited:
One more Neil, can balance the scope with the sliding plate when using TLS APO with Nikon D3 or Nikon D300s plus battery pack ?

Thanks !

Jason,
I don't think I answered you on this. Sorry.
I haven't used the D3s on the scope as it's too heavy and doesn't shoot good video which I need.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back