• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bahrain Gull and a Shrike (1 Viewer)

alanp

Saw this Shrike near Hamal in Bahrain, poor photos as I had to shoot into the sun because of limit viewpoint. I think it is either an Isabelline or a Red Backed Shrike.

The Gull was in the same area and not sure if it an Armenian Gull, Yellow Leg or Lesser Black Back Gull.

Attachments

• P1210686 Bahrain Shrike (1).jpg
    P1210686 Bahrain Shrike (1).jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 36
  • P1210686 Bahrain Shrike (2).jpg
    P1210686 Bahrain Shrike (2).jpg
    41 KB · Views: 61
  • P1210761 Bahrain Gull.jpg
    P1210761 Bahrain Gull.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 93
The Gull is most likely a Steppe Gull, Larus fuscus barabensis, which is more or less the default taxon in the Gulf. The head and bill shape don't look quite right for Heuglin's, and it doesn't look "mean" enough. I'm not sure if there are records of Armenian in Bahrain, although there are records from Kuwait - in any case it's rare. Yellow-legged doesn't really occur in the region.

Well the bill shape and pattern, Jizz and tiny P10 mirror are very much reminiscent of an Armenian to me. If this was photographed in Israel, I don’t think I would give it a second look. Are there any other pics? With other gulls etc...?

Last edited:
Well the bill shape and pattern, Jizz and tiny P10 mirror are very much reminiscent of an Armenian to me. If this was photographed in Israel, I don’t think I oublié give it a second look. Are there any other pics? With other gulls etc...?

Armenian has a dark eye, this one clearly has a pale iris.....?

Hi Tib, It was the only photo I took at the time and the only other birds close by were Black Headed Gulls and Slender Billed Gulls. I am visiting my nephew in Bahrain and he is a few minutes walk from a small harbour at Hamala. There are huge numbers of Gulls here but most are roosting too far out to ID. This bird was on a small island in the bay.

I have attached a photo taken tonight not sure if its the same bird. There were only a few birds close enough for a decent photo as there were fishermen on the end of the Island. There are a lot of large gulls that vary in plummage but not close enough to get a photo. I am here till after xmas and will see if I can get a group photo of Yellow Legged Gulls.

Attachments

• P1210880 Is this the same bird  the next day.jpg
    P1210880 Is this the same bird the next day.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Agree that the gull is more likely an armenicus. The shortish blunt tipped heavy bill looks better for armenicus. Some armenicus are pale-eyed.

JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back