• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Humming Bird I.D.? (1 Viewer)

JDV

Ive always had trouble identifying hummingbirds. I wanna see if I got this on correct or not. I think it's a 'Costa's Hummingbird' Am I correct?

Oh, And while Im at it. In the woods the other night I heard what sounded like a dog barking. It turned out to be an Owl. I tracked it doiwn, But due to the dusk lighting, all I got was a sillouhette. It was definitely Great Horned size. But, Was it a Great Horned or Long Eared? It was loud and reminded me of a dog, or Coyote.

(The Humming Bird was L.A. and the Owl Middle TN)

Attachments

• Humming Bird.jpg
    Humming Bird.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
It's a little frowzy looking, JD, but I think it may be an Anna's instead. Tail appears considerably longer than the wings, and the bill is dark and straight. Anna's is also common in L.A., but Costa's is more of an inland desert bird, as I recall.

I'm shamed to say I cannot remember owl hoots worth a hoot, but if it was GH-sized, than it was likely GHO; LE looks much smaller and slighter.

I vote for Anna's Hummingbird. Costa's has more contrasting white on the sides of the face and the corners of the gorget are much more elongated.

Thanx

Thanx yall. I guess I shouldve gone with what is the most common in that area. It was just tough to descern between the two. The black behind the eyes and small white patch are similar looking. I wish I couldve gotten a better picture of the guy. The angles I was shooting from prevented a better shot due to the sky as a back ground.

JDV, let me give you a welcome from the staff here at Birdforum!

As you can see from the responses you've gotten so far, there's always someone around the forum who probably has an answer for your question. That's one of the real beauties of this place -- so many people, with so much knowledge!

Hope you'll spend some time getting acquainted with everything the forum has to offer. Enjoy!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back