• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help for 2 African Birds (1 Viewer)

Dave B Smith

These photos were taken by a friend and he has not been able to ID them. Can anyone help? Both were in Kenya.
The Starling sp? was taken at Lake Nakuru and the other was taken at "The Ark Tree Tops".
Thanks,

Attachments

• unknown1.jpg
    unknown1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 233
  • unknown3.jpg
    unknown3.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 228
I agree with Tim and Steve - you've got Lamprotornis purpuropterus (Rüppell's Long-tailed Starling) in picture 1. The white eye and long tail is a give-away with the glossy starlings. In picture 2 you've got Baglafecht Weaver (Ploceus baglafecht) - it's a male (distinguished by the yellow on the head - the female has an all black crown). It's almost certainly ssp reichenowi, which used to be treated almost as a separate species (Reichenow's Weaver). It looks like it could be a juvenile coming into adult breeding plumage - the juvie doesn't show the yellow crown. I've got a photo of a similarly manky specimen on my website at http://www.kenyabirds.org.uk/reichenow.htm

Hi Helen

thanks for the confirmation. We don't seem to have many birders knowlegeble on Kenyan birding....Good job you're here. Some of your Kenyan birding days must warrant a place on BF somewhere......

Tim Allwood said:
Hi Helen

thanks for the confirmation. We don't seem to have many birders knowlegeble on Kenyan birding....Good job you're here. Some of your Kenyan birding days must warrant a place on BF somewhere......
Sadly I only get to have "Kenyan birding days" once a year when we make our annual birding trip. The rest of the year my Kenyan birding days are confined to agonising over what species/race we've captured on our photos .... and feeling very envious when we get the latest sightings from Kenya to include on our website!

I'm not such much knowledgeable as sad ..... I'll use any excuse to practise id'ing Kenyan species. ;)

Cheers
Helen

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back