• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

anyone got a 95mm swaro and able to give a genuine review? (1 Viewer)

salty

geordie birder
i can only find expert opinions etc, i want to know about real world use, from hides and in real lights and conditions....not some set up in a sunny country.

i aint bought a scope in years....though i am an ex apo 77 and diascope owner B :)

I've been using one for the last month and have to say I'm pretty blown away by it, having used it mostly in very unpredictable weather conditions and varying light. I organised a trip to search for Snow Leopard, read Jos report here - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=244151
Firstly, even when I opted for the 95, I was concerned about the weight. I like the idea of the system for its packing ability, the fact that the ocular separates from the objective makes for easy transportation, when needed. I was however concerned about the weight, especially considering I normally use the quite superb ATS65HD and work regularly abroad, so need the pack-light availability. This however was unfounded, as although the weight was obviously heavier, the balance, especially considering I was using a lightweight tripod, the Velbon Sherpa Pro and a lightweight head, Manfrotto 701RC, the system was more comfortable to carry over long distances. The balance strangely was better on the head when in use, with a much better centre, no sudden drop, especially when digiscoping with the Swarovski APO and a 4/3 Camera.
In the field, everything actually appears bigger and brighter and this does take some getting used to when you regularly use the smaller scope. I must admit that, perhaps because I'm not used to it (although I use the 25x50WA Eyepiece on the 65), the 30x was sometimes a bit too much, I would have preferred to zoom out occasionally to 20x, close stuff is up close and personal! In deteriorating light, the 95 is obviously an absolute gem, and deceives you into thinking its lighter than it really is. The light gathering of such a huge objective paid dividends for us when we finally did get to grips with that elusive cat, even at 70x, the focus and clarity is quite remarkable. I've had the same effect on recent wet and dreary days in the Midlands so I really can't fault it when coping with conditions more familiar to us over here.
I do read the reviews on here, and many, with apologies are unfathomable, the proof in the pudding for me is in everyday use in the field, and this baby really proves it can do the job.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
What about a side by side test?

To those that want to do a practical review I recommend to compare the 95mm version to the last Zeiss 85mm, with the 20-75x zoom, and to the Optolyth 100mm with a Baader 24-8mm zoom - all have similar maximum magnifications i.e. 72-75x, and similar AFOVs at maximum magnification i.e. 68 to 70º...o:D

Had a second chance to compare my three year old Zeiss Diascope 85 against another ATX95 this week. Again, I'm surprised to say, I could detect little discernable difference between the two scopes.

I haven't tested it side by side but it is very, very, very good. A clear upgrade from some older scopes, but maybe not as much compared to Kowa 88 or Zeiss 85. I would never buy this one 'blind' (even though I would very much recommended), as you have to see it yourself and compare with other top scopes.

I almost bought one, but having previously owned and enjoyed a diascope and they being available at £1600 complete I wasn't sure what to go for in a new scope.

I won't rush into buying a scope now, looks like I will wait maybe a few more months, see if I can get a test.

I have looked through it a few times, just as an amateurreviewer with only one thought: "does this ATX blow me away?". I compared it with my 3,5 year old Kowa TSN 883. My results can be read in the other ATX-thread but from memory:
- it's a superscope but I couldn't detect big differences with my Kowa
- I had to get comfortable with the focusring and the magnification ring
- I could see it was extremely bright and sharp especially at he edges
- I could also see white flares in he lower part of the view, maybe my eye had to get used to different viewing angle or something like that

On another occasion when watching over sea, the owner of he ATX 95, which was the follow up for his late Swato ATS 65 HD, looked through my Kowa and with a bit of surprise he admitted that the view was excellent (I use the 30x).

Now, I'm not making a free commercial for he Kowa but it seems to me that thanks to he great SW-marketingmachine many birders just buy the new scope in the blind. So, like Temmie, I only plea for personal testing: what feels good for you, is it worth the extra money? Kowa is great, the new Meopta should be great, the former ATM (now ATS again) is great, Leica is great, Nikon EDG and ED82 are great.... There is so much to choose from.

So decide for yourself which one gives you the best WOW-experience in relation to he price. It's fair though to say that the ATX is undoubtedly one of the best scopes in the world but is it also the best for you?

Last edited:
Had a second chance to compare my three year old Zeiss Diascope 85 against another ATX95 this week. Again, I'm surprised to say, I could detect little discernable difference between the two scopes.

Thanks John,
You've seen some differences but in which way?
Can you let us a bit more information on "the winner"
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to put one eye in a 95mm model (looking a Tichodroma muraria). AMAIZING! Still very sharp and bright, event at 70x
It is far better than Leica AP0 82, much more -eye-confortable than ATM 80HD even with 25-50EP (also more magnification because it is now a large difference between, 50x and 70x), same for PENTAX 80 (sharper). All others scopes were blown away!
This frend told me that he has it because he bought the expo model shown in the shop. Price was 3700€ (It is the cost to have one available straight!!!!*). Apparently, other people told him that fabrication of ATX95 is made little by little and it is very difficult to find one. It may take months to have one by normal channel order in a physical or internet retailer).
It is the same situation for stay on case. Noboby know when they will be available (at least for 95)!
Regards
Yves
* maybe it will be like some prestigious cars when there is a big delay between order and delivery; some people pay much more for a just acquired and avoid delay?????.

Last edited:
Yves,

Swarovski does not make them little by little but the world wide launch has created so much demands that it's impossible to produce that ammount of scopes at once.
In these times nobody makes little by little!
We have an "iron" stock and are ordering three months ahead to keep up.
So I think you have to come to Holland.
Jan

Yves,

Swarovski does not make them little by little but the world wide launch has created so much demands that it's impossible to produce that ammount of scopes at once.
In these times nobody makes little by little!
We have an "iron" stock and are ordering three months ahead to keep up.
So I think you have to come to Holland.
Jan

Thanks Jan,
Thanks for your response
Does it mean that stay on case are also available in NL?
Best regards
Yves

Thanks John,
You've seen some differences but in which way?
Can you let us a bit more information on "the winner"
Yves

I would keep my Zeiss 85, 20x - 60x for the following reasons:

1.The Zeiss zoom lens starts at 20x, which is more practical and flexible than the starting magnification of 30x on the Swaro.

2. The Zeiss had a wider field of view.

Opticaly I can see no difference in the two scopes. They are both bright and sharp to the edge of view but the ATX 95 is slightly sharper at high magnification and goes to 70x. I've also tried the new 25x - 75x Zeiss zoom lens on my scope but I wasn't keen because the image is too dark at high magnification. I prefer the 20x - 60x zoom.

Thanks Jan,
Thanks for your response
Does it mean that stay on case are also available in NL?
Best regards
Yves

Hallo Yves,

The case for the objektivmodule is available but not the case for the okularmodule. Personally I think that the first shipment was not according Swarovski's standards, that would explain the delay.

Jan

I had a look at the 85 alongside a Nikon ED82 at a bird fair recently. Both were set to 25x magnification. I was disappointed by what I found. The Nikon appeared to be brighter and gave better natural colours. I did not like the very 'loose' focussing ring. Don't get me wrong here because I don't like a stiff focussing ring but the Swarovski did not have hardly any resistance and not to my liking. Interestingly, everyone who compared these two thought the Nikon to be the better of the two and one chap said there was no difference so no one preferred the Swaro. Maybe this particular unit was a 'bad un' but at that price, it almost possible to buy 3 Nikon ED82s for one Swarovski. I tried my Nikon alongside said scope and thought that it outperformed it with the zoom. I did not have the 30x Nikon eyepiece with me but that is fantastic and then the Nikon would have been even better. Value for money I would not buy the Swaro.

I've had my ATX95 now for almost 3 weeks and I have to say that I am absolutely delighted every time I put my eye to it. Astounding views every time guaranteed no matter how mundane the scene.

I am a first time scope owner so its all new to me and I have nothing to compare it to except for my telescopes.

Now that I have experienced it though I kick myself that I haven't owned a scope before. I just didn't know what I was missing out on! Anyway on topic...

My 95 assembled nicely and I didn't have to read any instructions to get it all set. The zoom ring was stiff to the point my delicate hands and their skin was being traumatised trying to twist it. Disassembled, the zoom ring turned freely but upon assembly it became tight again. I put it down to newness but put some "nose oil" on the edge of the rubber ring that presses against the objective. This resulted in an immediate improvement that didn't last more than a few hours but over the three weeks it has become better and better without any further attempts at lubrication.

The focussing ring has been excellent and very user friendly for me. Focussing is a breeze and "pops" nicely not leaving doubts about whether you need finer focussing. I can sweep from around 500m away to 50m away with a quick turn of the ring. Very responsive and makes focussing while tracking a flying bird very very easy. I love being able to hold the ring from above or below while handling and moving the scope. Very ergonomic and I don't think I'd go to the other systems after this.

Aiming the angled scope was a challenge at first but I used the aiming aid for a few hours and figured out the ways of aiming better. I also figured out that the two line indent on the objective hood could be rotated into line up with the top or side and used as another sighting/aiming aid. Now I am able to routinely just aim the scope to most things I want to see.

The view is just jaw dropping. I did a star test and to my eyes couldn't detect astigmatism, pinching, coma or other defects. A little chromatic aberration is visible at extreme viewing angles but never intrusive in any ordinary situations.

I tried looking at Jupiter and could easily discern bands at 70x and even resolve a hint of a faint Great Red Spot (subsequent check on a transit of grs calculator confirmed it was present during the time I viewed).

Yesterday I got my first view of a kite (I had watched with binoculars before) which was around 100m away and on 70x zoom had filled my eyepiece with the amazing hovering where I felt I could reach out and touch the tail feathers. The kite's head and eyes were rock steady despite the flapping wings. Absolutely amazing view watching it. And this was dusk as the sun was disappearing.

It's so addictive I can simply sit or stand with it for hours forgetting the passage of time, looking at everything and anything. I can easily resolve the antenna wires on buildings over 8km away. It's simply mind blowing how amazing the views are.

The eyepiece is generous with no blackouts, easy eye placement and crystal clear views all the way to the edge. I really couldn't be happier. The money spent has long been forgotten and the joy of owning this has not even started. Again, Indont know why I ever took so long buying one. It's a mans best friend in any outdoor event. Would never be without one again.

Last edited:
Zuiko,

Congratulations on your new scope!

As you might be the first one to mention the aiming device fitter with the scope, I'd like to comment on that. For the ATX-series, Swarovski has included, with not nearly enough fanfare considering how ground-breaking this is, the first-ever actually useful and sensible manufacturer-provided aiming device. This is a nicely designed removable version of the famous "cable-tie sight" I have been championing for years, and which can be incorporated on any angled telescope with a bit of effort and do-it-yourself spirit. Now it can be hoped that new ATX owners will adopt this excellent aiming method since it is supplied with the scope and instructions are provided in the booklet. For owners of other makes of angled telescopes who now become envious of ATX users for their quickness and precision in finding both flying and stationary birds, here are the instructions for making your own.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=99084

And here another set of instructions for a collapsible version. I would recommend starting with the basic version, and then trying the collapsible one if you think you need it. The stationary version is likely to be more accurate and to need alignment less often.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=189743&highlight=aiming+device

Happy birding,

Kimmo

Last edited:
For the ATX-series, Swarovski has included, with not nearly enough fanfare considering how ground-breaking this is, the first-ever actually useful and sensible manufacturer-provided aiming device. This is a nicely designed removable version of the famous "cable-tie sight" I have been championing for years, and which can be incorporated on any angled telescope with a bit of effort and do-it-yourself spirit.

That's groundbreaking indeed! Are there any pictures on this, Id be curious to see how Swaro made it. You should have got a patent on this and be a rich man now ;)

Edit: after some searching, I found it, in the (downloadable) user manual for the ATX.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 730
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back