• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rona ruined my vacation, have days to burn (2 Viewers)

Chicken Nugget

Why did the rooster hang around the henhouse?
United States
Title says it all. I'm in the Pacific Northwest and looking for a fall road trip. I still have a week of vacation to kill. All the stuff I find about the great fall migration trips seem to be east coast. Are there places down the west coast that rival NYC, Cape May, or Pelee Point? Just need to be pointed in the right direction and I will research your ideas. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are great spots in the Pacific Northwest, but the first two that come to my mind are in California. Point Reyes and Monterey Bay are two places I would absolutely love to visit, and are nationally renowned as migration hotspots.

First thing that comes to my mind, who or what is Rona?

Oh Andy, it’s surely a USA way of saying the Coronavirus COVID 19 etc.

People ( me included) mistakenly think it was Churchill or George Bernard Shaw who mentioned UK and USA being “divided by a common language” but I’ve just researched it properly and the expression dates back a bit further to a short story by Oscar Wilde called The Canterville Ghost, 1887:

[Describing Mrs Otis]
Indeed, in many respects, she was quite English, and was an excellent example of the fact that we have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language.

Does seem to be a US tendency to shorten words by chopping off the first half rather than the second - eg "puter" for "computer", "shine" for "moonshine", I even heard "seng" for ginseng among Appalachian ginseng harvesters

Oh Andy, it’s surely a USA way of saying the Coronavirus COVID 19 etc.

People ( me included) mistakenly think it was Churchill or George Bernard Shaw who mentioned UK and USA being “divided by a common language” but I’ve just researched it properly and the expression dates back a bit further to a short story by Oscar Wilde called The Canterville Ghost, 1887:

[Describing Mrs Otis]
Indeed, in many respects, she was quite English, and was an excellent example of the fact that we have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language.

This would seem to make sense now you mention it Richard but I am somewhat vindicated by Nightjar.

Does seem to be a US tendency to shorten words by chopping off the first half rather than the second - eg "puter" for "computer", "shine" for "moonshine", I even heard "seng" for ginseng among Appalachian ginseng harvesters

I read somewhere once that American English is one of the hardest languages to learn with all the slang and words we make up. Im sure its not true but we do have a lot.

In a calendar year which contains a significant birthday I have so far lost three holidays to the pandemic.
The only pre-booked holiday I have remaining is three weeks on Scilly in October.
Finger and toes crossed that this holiday is going to happen.

Senior Management fancies a trip in a campervan (Lake District, Scotland, etc.) and she’s actively researching the subject reasoning that not using a hotel or B&B and "camping" is a safer option.

Maybe Chicken Nugget's idea of a road trip is a good idea

In a calendar year which contains a significant birthday I have so far lost three holidays to the pandemic.
The only pre-booked holiday I have remaining is three weeks on Scilly in October.
Finger and toes crossed that this holiday is going to happen.

Senior Management fancies a trip in a campervan (Lake District, Scotland, etc.) and she’s actively researching the subject reasoning that not using a hotel or B&B and "camping" is a safer option.

Maybe Chicken Nugget's idea of a road trip is a good idea

Well if the rest of the country doesn't get in line we will be on lockdown again and ill have one big backyard bird list. Im a little old to sleep in my car now so it might just have to be a bunch of day trips if hotels are closed down.

Well if the rest of the country doesn't get in line we will be on lockdown again and ill have one big backyard bird list. Im a little old to sleep in my car now so it might just have to be a bunch of day trips if hotels are closed down.

Well as a sprightly 65 year old, not looking forward to sleeping in a campervan but needs must

Sorry. Covid , Corona, or the Rona as the youngsters refer to it. Since most of the US didnt take it serious we are going backwards and most travel if cancelled.
I think Americans took it seriously. The fact is.... You can hold an American back for just so long. We are busting out at this point. We live life without fear.

please ignore my idiocy. I have never heard of Rona so I goggled it and it came up as a tropical storml/Hurricane.

Rona is the name of my insurance agent. Are there 2 meanings to the word.??

Why would you assume that we all know what this means, perhaps you got the idea that this is a singularly American forum (it's not, by a very long way) but even they didn't know what it meant?

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back