• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D7500 Package. Is it a good deal? (1 Viewer)

Chicken Nugget

Why did the rooster hang around the henhouse?
United States
I've spent the last month looking for an upgrade for birding from my D3300 with the AF-S DX VR 55-200mm kit I bought a couple years ago. My brain cant handle anymore research. I need more reach but am not ready for a 400mm+ lens yet. The kit i'll list below is $1199 vs $899 for the body only. It doesn't seem like I can really afford a great 55-300 (sub $400-$500). My thoughts are this kit will get me going with an upgraded body that will last me for years, a little more reach, and buy me some time to really save up and figure out what my next lens will be. I just want to make sure I'm not wasting the $1200.

My last post you guys mentioned used lens but I just don't know enough about what to look for in the off brands or second hand market.

kit is as follows:
The D7500 Dual Zoom Lens Kit consists of the D7500 DSLR along with two NIKKOR lenses, the compact and versatile AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR and the far-reaching AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR lens. Both lenses feature Nikon’s Vibration Reduction image stabilization for sharp images. Capture sports, wildlife, concerts, landmarks and more with precision. Both lenses use a pulse motor (utilizing stepping motors) for ultra-fast, near silent autofocus. Also included is a Nikon camera bag to conveniently hold your camera gear.

Also are all memory card basically the same? I'm buying a new one and would like to get it correct the first time.

Once again thank you for all your info.

Last edited:
Well I pulled the trigger and am out trying to learn Manual mode with my new D7500. Wish me luck.

Have a look at Steve Perry's Youtube Channel. He has a review of the D7500 and lots of really useful tips for NIKON DSLRs. The one about the AF system of Nikon DSLRs for instance will help a lot.

Hermann

Have a look at Steve Perry's Youtube Channel. He has a review of the D7500 and lots of really useful tips for NIKON DSLRs. The one about the AF system of Nikon DSLRs for instance will help a lot.

Hermann

Great info. I watched most of them. Thank you.

Congrats on getting the D7500. It's a very good birding camera with its 8fps and 50 shots buffer. I upgraded to it from a D5300 and have really enjoyed using it. The AF-P 70-300mm is a competent lens but the 300mm end is a bit limiting at the longest end for bird photography. Have a look at the Nikkor AF 200-500mm zoom which is a superb lens and not expensive for what it can do. I use the AF-P for travelling as it's light, sharp and has excellent VF for hand-held shots, and the 200-500 zoom for bird photography. Enjoy your D7500. BTW the 200-500 also has excellent VF and one can easily handhold even to 1/50 sec.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back