• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Searching for Travel Tripods (1 Viewer)

RioTuitoBirder

parrotstowarblers.weebly. com
I'm preparing to take a birding trip to Mexico and want to bring a lighter weight compact tripod but can't spend too much. Keeping it $200 if possible. I have a Nikon D5600 with a Nikon AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR Lens to support. Not too high end but decent quality. If anybody has any tips on a decent tripod and best place to purchase (from USA) I'd appreciate them. I'm only 5'6" so doesn't have to be too tall.

I bought the MeFOTO GlobeTrotter Aluminum Travel Tripod Kit (Black)
for about $250 and use this for travel but also on local outings (rather than my larger Manfrotto).
It comes with a ball head but I use a small fluid head. Also use it for photography with a full size dslr with a 200 to 500 Nikon zoom lens with good results.

I like this tripod as it closes to fit in most carry-ons making it much more convenient for travel.

You could also take a look at the Manfrotto Befree Live that comes with a decent small fluid head. It sells for around US$225 (BhPhoto) and wouldn’t go beyond 6lbs on it even though it is rated for 8.8lbs. Portability and quality are good, but the legs are a bit on the spindly side.

I'm preparing to take a birding trip to Mexico and want to bring a lighter weight compact tripod but can't spend too much. Keeping it $200 if possible. I have a Nikon D5600 with a Nikon AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR Lens to support. Not too high end but decent quality. If anybody has any tips on a decent tripod and best place to purchase (from USA) I'd appreciate them. I'm only 5'6" so doesn't have to be too tall.

I bought the MeFOTO GlobeTrotter Aluminum Travel Tripod Kit (Black)
for about $250 and use this for travel but also on local outings (rather than my larger Manfrotto).
It comes with a ball head but I use a small fluid head. Also use it for photography with a full size dslr with a 200 to 500 Nikon zoom lens with good results.

I like this tripod as it closes to fit in most carry-ons making it much more convenient for travel.

Hi David,
Which fluid head did you decide to get?
What made you pick that one?

Hi David,
Which fluid head did you decide to get?
What made you pick that one?

Etudiant,
I already had a tripod head but was using it on my large tripod. It also works well with this travel tripod. It is:
Manfrotto 128RC Micro Fluid Head with Quick Release - Supports 8.9lbs

Etudiant,
I already had a tripod head but was using it on my large tripod. It also works well with this travel tripod. It is:
Manfrotto 128RC Micro Fluid Head with Quick Release - Supports 8.9lbs

Thank you for the quick response, that head appears to be a good and very versatile option.
Does it accept arca style QR plates?

Thank you for the quick response, that head appears to be a good and very versatile option.
Does it accept arca style QR plates?

Etudiant,
Not without an adaptor similar to this one:

Haoge Quick Release QR Clamp Adapter Convertor for Manfrotto RC2 System to Arca-Swiss Compatible $24.99

Etudiant,
Not without an adaptor similar to this one:

Haoge Quick Release QR Clamp Adapter Convertor for Manfrotto RC2 System to Arca-Swiss Compatible $24.99

Thank you, that is very helpful even if not quite what I had hoped to hear.

Meanwhile found a small, light and very inexpensive pan head: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P22ORAK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
which appears arca compatible. I've not yet traveled with it, but it should be adequate for casual scoping.
I'll report back once it has had some service.

I'm happy with my Siriu N104KX + Sirui K20X ball head. About $250. together so a little above what you want. It holds my D7200+Tamron 150-600 just fine

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back