• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few Cuban IDs. (1 Viewer)

Drevni

Needing help with a few more IDs from Cuba, these were also taken in Cayo Coco.

DSC00678.jpg

DSC01216.jpg

DSC00961.jpg

4. This and the next bird might be the same, but they looked different enough for me to think they might be different birds.
DSC00635.jpg

DSC00896.jpg

Thanks in advance!

1 Northern Mockingbird
2 Uncertain but looks like a munia species, possibly Chestnut?
3 Palm warbler
4 Zenaida Dove
5 Eurasian Collared Dove

Niels

I should add that any Munia here would be introduced

Last edited:
1. Northern Mockingbird (note the substantial white patch in the wing, at the base of the primaries - separates it from Bahama)
2. ?
3. Palm Warbler (contrasting yellow crissum, capped appearence, and I think your photo has actually caught the tail in motion! Which it almost always is, in this species.)
4. Zenaida Dove (note white edge on greater coverts)
5. Eurasian Collared-dove (an introduced species).

#2 gives me a real headache, because I can't place it, and should be able to. The bill size makes me think Cuban Bullfinch - but the plumage is all wrong (i.e., not black!) But the bill looks too heavy for a grassquit - and none of the Cuban candidates are so plain, anyway. Perhaps female-type Indigo Buntings?

Looking at the bill on image 2...and allowing for fore-shortening..it does look on the heavy side!..also what would appear to be a suggested demarcated chestnut crown from the face, might favour Blue Grosbeak over other candidates?

cheers

I'd guess either that or an Indigo type bunting.
Because of the extreme depth of the bill, basally, I considered Blue Grosbeak too, but the Avibase list describes it as "accidental" in Cuba. (No idea how good Dr. Lepage's information is for Cuba in particular, but no reason to doubt it either).

Avibase does mention Nutmeg Mannikin (Scaly-breasted Munia) too, but... doesn't really look like it.

Blue grosbeak rare winter visitor to Cuba, Tricolored and Chestnut manakin/Munia common

Niels

I would call right hand bird on #2 a Blue Grosbeak without hesitation if I saw it in my area. Not familiar with other confusion species in Cuba, but looks spot on to me, with massive, shiny bill and apricot coloring. Ebird reports from Cuba are quite minimal, but even eBird has one report of BG from February.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
i'm struggling to turn these into a munia sp. The beaks are just too large and the tails are too broad and rounded.

If this will be of any help, this is probably the only other good picture I have of these. They flew off rather quickly. But you can see the bill a bit better on this one.

Unknown-2.jpg

i'm struggling to turn these into a munia sp. The beaks are just too large and the tails are too broad and rounded.

Chestnut Munia does have a very large bill -- see here. However, the tail does not look really good for them.

I was therefore going to go for the Grosbeak as Jim states, but looked again at the very dark head and bill of the left hand bird? When exactly were these taken?

I do not believe cuban bullfinch would have a large enough bill to fit this one.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back