• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

undetermined LesserWhitethroat. 10-12-07 (1 Viewer)

gerdwichers8

The following bird has been watched in the Netherlands by some alert birders.
One of them asked me to post some of the photo's.
Not yet fully determined, they have their preferences about its identity.

Attachments

• Vale Braamsluiper-1 langenboom 10-12-2007[1].JPG
    Vale Braamsluiper-1 langenboom 10-12-2007[1].JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Vale Braamsluiper-2 Langenboom 10-12-2007.jpg
    Vale Braamsluiper-2 Langenboom 10-12-2007.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 152
Looks to have a short primary projection, distinctly pale tertials, tiny bill, buffy underparts, buff-grey crown, not distinctive dark facial mask, pale brown tail. All good for Desert minula Lesser Whitethroat.

From my experience of Lesser Whitethroat types in Kuwait, I can say that many are difficult to (sub)specify, and it may be best to add the qualifier 'showing the features of'. However, this one appears to be a good candidate for minula/margelanica, whatever status these forms have. Apparently some authorities split more than others - I do not know what the relevant Netherlands authority decides about all the Lesser Whitethroat types.

No, these pics where shown to me and I was left 'undetermined' myself. Stepped out on any positive ID tentativily.
Had some text reread in Helbig, Shirihai and Christie on a bird which shows cold grey brown upperparts rather than the light brown grey. This bird is left 'undetermined' with the note that it shows features that strongly suggest minula.
I dd say that these birders got a stronger case than that now they can show the following pictures, I received yesterday.

Attachments

• VB_1805copy[1].JPG
    VB_1805copy[1].JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 66
  • VB_1814copy[1].JPG
    VB_1814copy[1].JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 65
  • VB_1833copy[1].JPG
    VB_1833copy[1].JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 78
  • VB_1834copy1[1].JPG
    VB_1834copy1[1].JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 67
Well, they terminated my first impression! (halimodendri/curruca sp.on the sole first pic) since they abolutely show colouration on the pale brown grey side.

Moreover, they shed some new understanding in the colouration of the two ambiguous birds at plate 17.

Catalysing pix!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back