• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cranes at Linum, Brandenburg (1 Viewer)

Strandman

It looks like i might be in Berlin for a couple of days at the end of the month and might be able to sneak off for Cranes. Dos anyone have any information on where best site is: I have got as far as Linum Brandenburg as my top answer, but anything more specific would be very handy (and much appreciated).

Last edited:
There is a Nature Conservation Centre in Linum called the Storchenschmiede. That may be the place to go if you're struggling? They are mostly interested in taking you along to see them fly out of/into roost or to the managed feeding areas (to prevent disturbance), for a couple of euros (http://berlin.nabu.de/naturerleben/storchenschmiede/kranichsaison/14177.html), which might not be what I'd be looking for! A few km walk for 6 euros every Friday to Sunday (call them at 033922 50500).

I just had a look at reports on ornitho.de and found that yesterday back 20,000 Cranes were seen flying into roost from the location indicated with a blue dot. Does that do?

PM me nearer the time and I'll check if there are other locations being mentioned (very few at the moment).

Attachments

• Cranes.JPG
    Cranes.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
I just had a look at reports on ornitho.de and found that yesterday back 20,000 Cranes were seen flying into roost from the location indicated with a blue dot. Does that do?

PM me nearer the time and I'll check if there are other locations being mentioned (very few at the moment).

perfect- thanks for your trouble

lurking about somewhere unofficial to see/hear them coming into the roost was just what I had in mind

In the late evening You will see many tourist in Linum which watch the cranes before they comes down.

At the day the cranes in agriculture areas. Some or sometimes thousends You see from autobahn.
At the day a good watching place is between Linum and Nauen.

Geese are at lake Gülper See ( also cranes but not more then 10.000 ).

For anyone planning to go...
55,000 counted over the fields north of Linum, flying into roost from about 1.5 hours before sunset (blue arrow).
22,000 counted feeding in fields south of Linum by day (red arrow).
Source: ornitho.de

Attachments

• Cranes1.JPG
    Cranes1.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 87
hi all,

has anyone been recently? i am thinking about going on saturday but not really sure where is best, and when.

would love to see the crains.

Linum is so small you can't miss them!

I was in Linum for a few days until Monday of this week, and the cranes are utterly wonderful. The sound is still in my ears all this time later. The NABU is the place to start - right on the main road, with a huge wooden crane outside it so you can't miss it. http://berlin.nabu.de Nauener Straße 54, 16833 Fehrbellin, tel. 033922 50500.
There is a network of paths and farm tracks that lead to the wetlands (Teichenland). In the area of the "Fischerhutte" (an inn with views over one of the ponds) there are paths with hides including a couple of high ones, but my (local) friends took me down Strasse der Jugend, over the canal and then to the left. We stood under some trees so the cranes didn't notice us and veer away, but the view to the east was flat and open - great spot. We got there just before dawn and watched them take off across the face of the rising sun. The NABU guides visitors to the same place. There aren't really any "official" places, and although there's a substantial network of paths you can't roam completely freely over the area because it's protected. Oh, and for afterwards, the NABU does coffee and home-made cake and there is a cafe two doors away that does early breakfast in the Kranich season, plus a couple of inns. Enjoy!

Well that was all very splendid- flew into Berlin Tegel at lunchtime, at Linum 2ish in time for a recce and a schnitzel and then ?20,000 Cranes streaming in from the south from 4PM, then back to Tegel and safely in Berlin centrum by 7PM

The main flight line was exactly where shown above, east of town viewable from a big silage clamp, although there were a few people standing about in the open which just pushed the flocks slightly to the east and west

So well done everybody- a fantastic experience and thanks for the first class advice

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back