• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New york mid nov what to expect (1 Viewer)

hocko

any city birds easily identified in new york. As the visit is not a bird trip but would be nice if I could put a name to them. regards in anticipation.

If you can get to a park with trees (even a small one) you should be able to find Northern Cardinal, Dark-eyed Junco, Black-capped Chickadee, a few woodpeckers, and probably some others. Central Park is well-known as a birdwatching destination.

If you can get to a wetland or the ocean, you should see migrating and wintering waterfowl and maybe a few shorebirds. Jamaica Bay is one site that I've heard of that is right next to the JFK airport.

I've never been to NYC, so I can't get into particulars, but if you google for backyard birds of eastern North America, the winter species should cover much of what you'll find in yards and parks. If you don't have the chance to walk anywhere with vegetation or water, you'll probably encounter little other than European House Sparrows, Starlings, and feral Pigeons.

When you get back can you please post what you find and where because I am going to be in the same position as you early next year. good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back