• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common kestrels or red-footed falcons? (1 Viewer)

siposi

Hello,

I was in the weekend to photograph red-footed falcons and my guide said that all the birds we saw in that area were red-footed falcons. However, after seeing my photos, I think that between the red-footed falcons there were some common kestrels as well.

1. Red-footed falcon female (I saw a lot of them and added this for reference here)
2 and 3. I think these are common kestrels (there were 1-2 of them between the red-footed falcons)
4. I think this is a common kestrel as well
5. Not sure in this maybe red-footed falcon?

Thank you very much in advance,
Istvan

Attachments

• Kep24 copy.jpg
    Kep24 copy.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 157
  • Kep26 copy.jpg
    Kep26 copy.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 130
  • Kep27 copy.jpg
    Kep27 copy.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Kep28 copy.jpg
    Kep28 copy.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Kep29 copy.jpg
    Kep29 copy.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 165
All correct apart from 5 which is another Kestrel

A

Are we sure Andy....Image 5 is very "boldly" streaked to the underparts, also moustachial streak is quite dense, deep and contrasty, the trailing edge to the wing is quite extensive and contrasty, add the general compact feel and I'm wondering if the OP was correct...another (Imm.type) RFF?

.....dunno

Are we sure Andy....Image 5 is very "boldly" streaked to the underparts, also moustachial streak is quite dense, deep and contrasty, the trailing edge to the wing is quite extensive and contrasty, add the general compact feel and I'm wondering if the OP was correct...another (Imm.type) RFF?

.....dunno

that would be a most unusual tail for a RFF Ken, it's a Kestrel as Andy said

that would be a most unusual tail for a RFF Ken, it's a Kestrel as Andy said

Looking on the web, I found variability (of depth) for the terminal tail band for both species, Kestrel generally having a deeper "band", however some Imm.RFF's also showed a black tail band (in a minority of cases).

I believe the other points raised (heavy contrasty chest streaking and moustachial stripe) may have some merit too.

Dunno....just looks odd to my eye?

Cheers

Last edited:
You can virtually tell what the bird had for breakfast from this image yet its still problematic? Not so hot on Kestrels then Ken, despite distant Goshawk ID not being 'rocket science'?

RB

Tail and face pattern apart you just have to look at the difference in wing shape between images 1 and 5, and the similarity between images 4 and 5.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back