• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

99 Swans in single file.....is that normal? (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
Just read a previous thread on swans by silversnapper and it reminded me that last year we were at the Menai Straights (on the mainland looking across to Anglesey) when a herd of Swans glided past in single file.......we counted them at 99. Absolutely all were single file i.e. no doubles. Is that unusual .....both the number and strict single file?

BTW is 'herd' correct ? I only read it in silversnappers post!

Last edited:
I think herd of swans is a good term in the uk at least - possibly relating to semi-captive origins, traditional swan herding, and the observation that a group of swans spread out over the fields look very much like a herd of ruminants would.

At least at Abbotsbury (famous swannery) they refer to them as a herd.

http://www.abbotsbury-tourism.co.uk/swannery/index.htm

wrt to the swimming behaviour, I'd hazard a guess that it wasn't just by chance, maybe they were able to slipstream each other much as they would in the air (assume it could be strongly tidal across the straits). Although cyclists and birds do this at higher speeds, not sure how the science works at lower speeds in more viscous medium of water.

Must have been an interesting sight!

Last edited:
wrt to the swimming behaviour, I'd hazard a guess that it wasn't just by chance, maybe they were able to slipstream each other much as they would in the air (assume it could be strongly tidal across the straits). Although cyclists and birds do this at higher speeds, not sure how the science works at lower speeds in more viscous medium of water.

Something to with vortices from the paddling feet, plus psychologically probably easier to follow directly behind than struggle on your own. (Not sure if the swans are into the psychology aspect mind - every time they see a shrink they turn into a duck ...)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back