• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (42 Viewers)

Thanks for the effort

I undertook parts four and five of this walk on Sunday 26th and Monday 27th and have decided to combine them into one post as to be honest it became increasingly difficult to come up with anything new in the way of sightings.

As a person who does not walk too well, it has been a pleasure to read about your trek over the last few days. Informative and very enjoyable.
Here's hoping there will be more to follow.
Thanks

Just had a call from my partner to say that there is an Osprey over Dersingham bog at the moment (1215) - no other details but good views apparently.

I undertook parts four and five of this walk on Sunday 26th and Monday 27th and have decided to combine them into one post as to be honest it became increasingly difficult to come up with anything new in the way of sightings.

As a person who does not walk too well, it has been a pleasure to read about your trek over the last few days. Informative and very enjoyable.
Here's hoping there will be more to follow.
Thanks

I'll second that. As a resident of Diss, where the journey began, I would have loved to have done something like that in the company of someone who clearly knows their stuff.

Last edited:
There was an aberrant Common Swift at Whitlingham today, favouring the northern shore near the Watersports Centre. It had a band of white around the rump, but the white continued along the back with some brown speckling.

There had also been an influx of House Martins since I was last there, plus a Hobby and three Buzzards over.

Attachments

• Ab swift 1 (800x602).jpg
    Ab swift 1 (800x602).jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 222
  • Ab swift 2 (800x601).jpg
    Ab swift 2 (800x601).jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
There was an aberrant Common Swift at Whitlingham today, favouring the northern shore near the Watersports Centre. It had a band of white around the rump, but the white continued along the back with some brown speckling.

There had also been an influx of House Martins since I was last there, plus a Hobby and three Buzzards over.

This might be the bird we ringed at UEA a couple of years ago, had white going further up the back and white speckling.

That would be interesting to know. The white on the back was noticeable at a distance, there was no mistaking it for one of the rarer species. As well as the white on top, underneath it had a small area of white about level with the neck, and also a white area near the back that joined with the rump to give a white wrap-around area if that rings any bells.

This might be the bird we ringed at UEA a couple of years ago, had white going further up the back and white speckling.

Thanks for all the support and compliments from everyone regarding my recent walk along Boudica's Way. It added to the feeling of doing something different and worthwhile this spring. I am already considering doing it again next winter to experience it in another whole new perspective. I know the landowners around Caistor St Edmund are very pro wildlife and environment friendly and get very large finch and bunting flocks as a direct result so many thanks to them. It would be interesting to see what the rest of the area holds in this respect.
In the meantime, it would be great if anyone else undertook a similar walk in their own area and it would be very interesting to read about their experiences and what they saw along the way too.

Steve.

Last edited:

Nice record shot of an interesting looking bird James. If anyone saw that briefly at distance they could easily convince themselves that they had just had an Alpine!

Could this be the same bird present at Hunstanton a year or two back? Wasn't that one a Bengal Eagle owl or summat?

J
Hi James! - not sure to be honest - my picture I took of the Hunstanton bird was rubbish so can't really compare, but I think I saw Robert write somewhere on the net that it wasn't - will contact him about it.

Had an interesting email from someone about this Eagle Owl who said the following:

"Everyone assumes it must be an escape but it may well be 'wild' as for the last few years escaped/released owls have been breeding in the north of England and it is also known that the young disperse as one which was ringed I believe struck power lines in Shropshire. This could well be a young bird from a previous breeding season, especially as it appears not to carry any rings. It is a super bird and I remember meeting the late Phillip Ware's 'Bubu' up close at Great Witchingham many years ago....."

Penny:girl:

Not so hot incinerator news. Whilst everybody waits for Eric Pickles to decide on the ever popular plant, it does appear that the true costs of pulling out of the contract signed under the previous administration vastly exceed the number of migrant birds found on the point this year! The contract which is only currently available in redacted form has not yet been seen by new members. I understand that a penalty of 80 million is suggested should the council withdraw. There is a full debate on the subject next Tuesday. Off subject, but at least in Norfolk.:cat:

Last edited:
Hi all, had to take the car for an MOT at Burnham Motors and rather than wait I borrowed a car from them and drove up to Burnham Overy. Parked off road and walked down the track towards Gun Hill. After the second gate I picked up a superb Male Red Backed Shrike working the fence line. Standing still for a little while the bird eventually flew to about 10ft. Needless to say I didn't have my camera with me (sods law strikes again) but the views were the best I've ever had. Watched it for a little while before it flew over to Gorse bushes in the field to the right. It was still there when I left. Being as I'd had the bird to myself I walked on up to the coast path to let any other birders know but amazingly there were none about - only dog walkers, walkers or couples with kids. All this was about 3pm. and yes the car passed it's MOT.

Regards, Ian

Titchwell May 31st

Today’s highlights

Temminck’s stint – 1 on fresh marsh still but elusive
Little gull – 5+ 1st summers on fresh marsh
Garganey – pair on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 1 around reserve
Turtle dove – pair in dead trees
Med gull – 2 adults west, 2 1st summers on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard – pair on grazing marsh pool, female with 6 small young in reedbed
Little ringed plover – 2 on fresh marsh
Bittern – several flights this afternoon

Paul

Last edited:
Hi all, had to take the car for an MOT at Burnham Motors and rather than wait I borrowed a car from them and drove up to Burnham Overy. Parked off road and walked down the track towards Gun Hill. After the second gate I picked up a superb Male Red Backed Shrike working the fence line. Standing still for a little while the bird eventually flew to about 10ft. Needless to say I didn't have my camera with me (sods law strikes again) but the views were the best I've ever had. Watched it for a little while before it flew over to Gorse bushes in the field to the right. It was still there when I left. Being as I'd had the bird to myself I walked on up to the coast path to let any other birders know but amazingly there were none about - only dog walkers, walkers or couples with kids. All this was about 3pm. and yes the car passed it's MOT.

Regards, Ian

Thanks for posting your sighting so speedily on BF Ian! I sent my Daughter and her Partner a text about your sighting and she text me 10 minutes ago to say they had called in at Burnham Overy and seen the Red-backed Shrike in the area you mention! Needless to say she is thrilled with the sighting!

PS: Nice when a motor passes it's MOT!:t:

Regards, Ian
What a fabulous afternoon you had - congratulations:t:

Spotted in several places today

It is years since I last had 5 Spotted Flycatchers in one day in County. The more so, as they were in four different places and either a short walk from the car or, at Cley, from the car itself.

Late morning, one filled the gap that had been waiting to welcome it at Gramboro’. (LH shot.) A singing Chiffchaff and an elusive, greyish warbler were also there.

A short trudge along the shingle and a Short Lark gave short views. (Congrats on the find, Marcus.) We kept at a respectful distance, not to spoil it for others.

The cattle pens along the Beach Road at Cley gave the second Spotted, followed by at least two at Warham Greens. Walsey Hills provided the final one, this evening. (RH shot.)

Attachments

• 023pse.jpg
    023pse.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 056pse.jpg
    056pse.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 223
  • 113pse.jpg
    113pse.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 211pse.jpg
    211pse.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 226pse.jpg
    226pse.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 171
Eddie Myers just text me to say he has just found a male Red-backed Shrike in the Willow on the west side of the East Bank at Cley at 8.15pm - he scoped it from North Hide!:t:

It is years since I last had 5 Spotted Flycatchers in one day in County. The more so, as they were in four different places and either a short walk from the car or, at Cley, from the car itself.

Late morning, one filled the gap that had been waiting to welcome it at Gramboro’. (LH shot.) A singing Chiffchaff and an elusive, greyish warbler were also there.

A short trudge along the shingle and a Short Lark gave short views. (Congrats on the find, Marcus.) We kept at a respectful distance, not to spoil it for others.

The cattle pens along the Beach Road at Cley gave the second Spotted, followed by at least two at Warham Greens. Walsey Hills provided the final one, this evening. (RH shot.)
Fabulous John:t:

White-spot in the right spot

A good find for a birder this morning gave me this record shot- and not even halfway along the East Bank at Cley.

And with these huge numbers (http://www.portlandbirdobs.org.uk/aa_latestnews.htm) moving north thru Portland this morning, there may be a partial explanation for yesterday’s multiple occurrences:
It is years since I last had 5 Spotted Flycatchers in one day in County.
if on a much more modest scale.

Attachments

• 012pse.jpg
    012pse.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back