Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2018

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 8th March 2018, 20:58   #251
Mike Montier

Jane and I attended the book launch in Palma tonight. It was a very slick and professional presentation by Maties, Pep and Sebastian.
The book, Birds of Mallorca, is brilliant and I believe just what most birders will want with all the important species listed together with super photos and distribution maps.
Sadly, it will not be available in English for some months but as soon as it is ready, I will post further details here.
Mike
Old Thursday 8th March 2018, 21:57   #252
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Jane and I attended the book launch in Palma tonight. It was a very slick and professional presentation by Maties, Pep and Sebastian.
The book, Birds of Mallorca, is brilliant and I believe just what most birders will want with all the important species listed together with super photos and distribution maps.
Sadly, it will not be available in English for some months but as soon as it is ready, I will post further details here.
Mike
Mike, Thank you for your nice words; we will translate the book to english and deustch and print the new edition as soon as possible.
We enjoyed also the presence of Joan Mayol, introducing the book with with us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2018-03-08 at 23.30.46.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	655798  

Last edited by Josep Manchado : Thursday 8th March 2018 at 22:01.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 18:33   #253
Patrick_m

Quote:
I forgot to say that there is a path from Eddie’s track at Salobrar de Campos which is very good for Bluethroat. I saw a chat in typical stance there today, with cocked tail and dropping wings, and have just uploaded the photos. It was indeed a Bluethroat but is probably the worst photo ever taken of one, only just identifiable. Mike
Hi Mike, What path are you referring to? I would love to connect with a bluethroat here, I have always missed them at the Depuradora, probably not knowing where to look. Thanks.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 19:28   #254
s.g.
spotted sandpiper

Son Real,
Not too bad today with 4 Hawfinch, 3 Stone Curlew over, Cirl Buntings, Serin, showing well and 2 Balearic Warblers.
Depuadora had 3 Green Sands, 1 common.
Steve.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 22:13   #255
Mike Montier

Hi Patrick
If you park at the hotel fontsanta, walk down Eddies Track past the fields, the path turns sharp left where the first pool is ahead of you.
Then follow the path round to the right which is deep underwater at the moment.
After a short walk straight down towards the refuge hut, there is a metal gate on the left hand side. You can look straight down the track by looking over the gate.
I always call it the Bluethroat track because Philip and I have had so many sightings there.
I must say I was surprised to see it, they are much more numerous in the autumn than spring. The depuradora at Albufera can hold double figures but they are mostly gone by Christmas.
Let me know if you are going to Salobrar and hopefully I will be able to join you.
Mike
Old Saturday 10th March 2018, 16:35   #256
bob freeman

Formentor view point 0800 three Alpine Accentor but very flighty in the cold blustery wind.
Two Greenshank two Little Ringed Plover dozen Kentish Plover & Yellow Wagtail at mouth of smelly river Albufereta.
Quick look in La Gola pm two Cattle Egret ,Male & Female Black Redstart.
Count of ten Sandwich Terns on rocky breakwaters also pm in Pollensa Bay.

Bob
Old Saturday 10th March 2018, 18:09   #257
s.g.
spotted sandpiper

Bocquer today,
Alpine Accentor, Ring Ouzel, good numbers of Blake Redstarts and a pair of Booted Eagles.
Steve.
Old Saturday 10th March 2018, 21:20   #258
Patrick_m

Thanks Mike, I know exactly where you mean. Where was a car parked there the other day with someone checking the contents of the nets they put across the ditches. Will keep my eyes open next time and will let you know when I go next.
Old Sunday 11th March 2018, 18:25   #259
s.g.
spotted sandpiper

Well, what started of as just a normal day turned out different.
I drove around the back road of the Albuferata from the main alcudia p. Pollenca road taking the Pollenca turning and then turning left, dumped the car and started walking back the way I came
, after seeing G. W. Egret, Cattle Egret and Grey Heron I stopped by the concrete culvert watching Green and Common Sand when I heard something, I presumed was a dog or cat jump off the wall behind me, turned round and a COATI ran not 3 meters away from me, across the culvert and out of sight.
Shocked or what!
Think the local authorities need informing.
Steve.
Old Sunday 11th March 2018, 18:36   #260
Ben Nevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.g. View Post
I heard something, I presumed was a dog or cat jump off the wall behind me, turned round and a COATI ran not 3 meters away from me, across the culvert and out of sight.
Shocked or what!
Think the local authorities need informing.
Steve.
What Is a COATI Steve ? Excuse my Ignorance.I stayed along that road on holiday a year and a half ago.
Old Sunday 11th March 2018, 19:03   #261
Mike Montier

I’m sure Pep or Maties will inform us. I remember seeing a sign at Cuber reservoir about this escape from South America, so perhaps we can be brought up-to-date.
Thanks, as you say Steve, quite a shock! Mike

Last edited by Mike Montier : Sunday 11th March 2018 at 20:10.
Old Sunday 11th March 2018, 19:15   #262
s.g.
spotted sandpiper

Hi Ben,
South America Mammal, racoon family, didn't half make me jump Mike, first thought was is it going to bite me!
If the locals think there hens have stopped laying then I think someone should inform them its not the hens fault, I did look through some of the gates but couldn't see anyone to tell.
Steve.
Old Sunday 11th March 2018, 19:32   #263
bob freeman

Albufera am Sa Roca hide Very Close views of Little Stint and Yellow Wagtail both showing down to a few meters,also 6 Marbled Duck and 1 Male Garganey amongst the usual wildfowl.
Bishop 1 hide 5 Male And 2 Female Garganey,3 Flamingo,6 Avocet and another Yellow Wagtail showing really well in front of hide.
Amarador Flybye Red Rumped Swallow ,Green Sandpiper and Little Stint on flash just South of small holding where giant black dog hangs out.
Late afternoon from Albufereta viewing platform Osprey,Booted Eagle,Red Rumped Swallow and Alpine Swift again much to the delight of my two friends who had the later two as life ticks,also Greenshank on shore by river mouth.
Again constant movement of Hirundines moving through until we departed at around 1800 hrs,wind must have been gusting Southerly 30 knots at times.

Bob
Old Sunday 11th March 2018, 20:05   #264
Ben Nevis

Quote:
Hi Ben,
South America Mammal, racoon family, didn't half make me jump Mike, first thought was is it going to bite me!
If the locals think there hens have stopped laying then I think someone should inform them its not the hens fault, I did look through some of the gates but couldn't see anyone to tell.
Steve.
Thanks for that Steve/Mike.

Would'nt want to come face to face with one.
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 08:30   #265
honeym

Quote:
Hi Ben,
Steve.
They have been a problem on the island for several years and there are a number of internet articles:
https://www.euroweeklynews.com/news/...nd-of-mallorca

https://mallorcaphotoblog.com/2010/0...-of-the-coati/

https://www.newscientist.com/article...eus-kill-list/
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 12:01   #266
Mike Montier

Thanks Martin.
I found yet another hedgehog this morning swimming in the pool that we look after.
Just for future reference, how is it best to care for them once on dry land? I have been putting them in a warm place because they seem to “shiver” quite a lot. They have all survived so far except one which plunged straight back in the pool once I had left.
Any advice? Thanks, Mike
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 15:19   #267
honeym

Quote:
Thanks Martin.
I found yet another hedgehog this morning swimming in the pool that we look after.
Just for future reference, how is it best to care for them once on dry land? I have been putting them in a warm place because they seem to “shiver” quite a lot. They have all survived so far except one which plunged straight back in the pool once I had left.
Any advice? Thanks, Mike
Hi Mike
Don't know much about hedgehogs but I've certainly seen the species on Mallorca several times (Atelerix algirus vagans) - but never in a pool. My best suggestion would be to place it outside the perimeter of the garden, well away from the pool. That said, I know they are good climbers so the low rocky walls that surround many of the properties are no barrier to their nocturnal activities.
They are known to be good swimmers so the problem is really that they can't get out of swimming pools once thay have fallen in due to the deep, vertical sides.
At this time of year I suspect that somewhere warm would also be best.
Best wishes
Martin
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 20:01   #268
s.g.
spotted sandpiper

Salbufera today,
Little Ringed Plovers 3, Little Stints 2, Dunlin 6, Garganey Male, Grey Plover, Black Necked Grebe, Black Redstart male, Water Pipits 4, and Osprey.
Steve.
Old Tuesday 13th March 2018, 15:39   #269
s.g.
spotted sandpiper

Albuferata this morning,
L. R. Plover 6, Greenshanks 3, Redshank 2, G. W. Egrets 2, Green Sand, Snipe, Fantailed Warblers, Water Pipit, Booted Eagle plus the regulars.
Glossy Ibis at salbufera.
Steve.
Old Tuesday 13th March 2018, 17:52   #270
bob freeman

Fantastic two days birding at S Albufera.
Monday started off with nice Male Little Bittern at entrance to park on the left hand pond before the main gate.Little Stint showing well again from left of Sa Roca hide and pair of GC Grebe displaying by main bridge over Gran Canal.
Five Flamigo flying over in early morning light just as we turned down to Bishop Hides.Bishop 1 hide produced one Grey Plover,seven Spotted Redshank,close views of Marsh Harrier and bird of the day a Spotted Crake which flew right past the hide in front of us and landed Amongst the reeds to the right giving great views for about ten minutes before flying back into cover on our left.
Other birds of note being Yellow Wagtails and Water Pipits.
Quick visit to Son Real pm gave great views of Five Hawfinch at the pond hide.
Today at S Albufera from Dawn till Dusk we headed straight for Bishop hide hoping to see the Spotted Crake again but no sign,when lifting the small shutter on the left hand side of the hide I flushed a lovely Male Bluethroat which must have been perched right outside,it flew up onto tree and gave all but brief views before flying off,we spent the next few hours trying to locate it but to no avail.
Our first Kingfisher of the trip flew past the hide just before we left .
Male Little Bittern again in same place as we walked back into park after lunch break.
Lovely close views of three Glossy Ibis ,Common Snipe and Greenshank from hide near the Solar Panels and Little Stint again with Yellow Wagtail from Sa Roca just before we called it a day.
Roll on tomorrow for more great birding.

Bob
Old Tuesday 13th March 2018, 18:03   #271
Mike Montier

Some super birds there Bob, glad you are enjoying being here. I know you take great photos so if you have any, we would love to see them, all the best for tomorrow, Mike
Old Tuesday 13th March 2018, 19:19   #272
Mike Montier

A Savi’s Warbler is at Albufera.
Also a White stork is roosting in the Magaluf area.
For those visiting birders who like to go to the lighthouse at Formentor, access will no longer be possible it seems.
I must say it has been absolute chaos whenever I’ve been in the past. I always arrive around dawn and have the place to myself for a while. Then the crowds arrive and it’s impossible.
Access by car is to be restricted from around the hotel Formentor up to the lighthouse, therefore it will still be possible to visit the mirador and tower at Albercutx.
I hope I’ve translated that correctly. I’m not sure which months it will be effective from so if anyone knows, perhaps they could let us know. Thanks, Mike
Old Wednesday 14th March 2018, 04:37   #273
bob freeman

Yes Mike we have had some real good fortune and luck this time around .
Forgot to mention a couple of birders reported seeing a Woodchat Shrike just outside of Sa Roca hide yesterday.We did have a quick look for it but on luck.
Mosquitoes are really bighting down on the marshes these last few days,we ar all covered in lumps from them,unusual as they never seem to bother me.
As for the Formentor road I drove it once of a September to go see the Falcons but never again,no fun at all.
As usual I will post some shots when I return home to Blighty at the weekend.

Cheers

Bob
Old Wednesday 14th March 2018, 09:08   #274
Ben Nevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob freeman View Post

As usual I will post some shots when I return home to Blighty at the weekend.

Cheers

Bob
I and I'm sure many more,shall look forward to seeing them Bob.
Old Wednesday 14th March 2018, 09:45   #275
Cristina Fiol

Moth

Hello!
I have one question for Martin Honey, which one is this beautiful moth I found at home?
It was bright yellow.
thanks!
cristina.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180308_121513.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	656184  

Last edited by Cristina Fiol : Wednesday 14th March 2018 at 09:48.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: