• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vancouver Island - Gull (1 Viewer)

JanD

Dear Community,

first of all, I have to apologize for the quality of the attached picture. It was taken with my phone through my binos. I saw two of those gulls today at Island View Beach (Vancouver Island). I have no expertise in gull identification (I am a newbie bird watchter). My guess would be a California or a Mew Gull, but I found the color of the head and breast quite curious.

Thank you,
Jan

Attachments

• 20191117_171951.jpg
    20191117_171951.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Inat mentions oilstain as source for the brown head and neck. So then it's one of the adult large headed. Difficult to tell from this image.

Cheerw
Housecrow

Thank you all very much for your opinions! Interesting hint with the oil stain. Just wondering why both gulls looked pretty much alike... but the picture is of course horrible.

Cheers,
JD

It’s an immature Western (or possibly Olympic) gull.
Not sure what’s going on with the head/breast colour. It may simply be remnant signs of immaturity, in which case an Olympic gull is perhaps more likely as Western typically has a white head/breast from 3rd cycle on (this bird is at least in it’s 3rd cycle). But some kind of staining is possible too of course.
The bird is too bulky and short winged for either Mew and California, the mantle is too dark too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back