• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cranes South Africa (1 Viewer)

Lanhua

I'm planing to go South Africa for Blue and Wattled Crane. I've heard that Karkloof Conservancy would be a good place to see both of them.I'm just uncertain, what time would be good for visit, European spring time or better September, October.

Mietek

I'm planing to go South Africa for Blue and Wattled Crane. I've heard that Karkloof Conservancy would be a good place to see both of them.I'm just uncertain, what time would be good for visit, European spring time or better September, October.

Mietek

Driving around the Warterburg in Nov-Dec should get you Blue, they seem to be in most fields but Wattled is uncommon in SA AFAIK after two visits and not having seen one.

Karkloof use Wattled Crane as their logo but I have no idea how realiable they are.

https://karkloofconservation.org.za/what-we-do/karkloof-conservation-centre/

I suggest you write directly to them, asking when to go and how often WC are actually seen.

Last edited:
Andy, thanks a lot for your response.

Few days ago I've sent a email to Karkloof Conservany, but no response until now. Maybe they are very busy.
According to Ebird, Wattled and Blue Cranes should be there, but q my question is also what would be the best time to go there. Callan Cohen use in his book "Southhern African Birdfinder" as time information,"during the winter or the spring time is the best time. For me it's not clear, if does he means European winter,(December) European spring time (March, April) or Southafrican spring time, which is I think September, October.
Mietek

Andy, thanks a lot for your response.

Few days ago I've sent a email to Karkloof Conservany, but no response until now. Maybe they are very busy.
According to Ebird, Wattled and Blue Cranes should be there, but q my question is also what would be the best time to go there. Callan Cohen use in his book "Southhern African Birdfinder" as time information,"during the winter or the spring time is the best time. For me it's not clear, if does he means European winter,(December) European spring time (March, April) or Southafrican spring time, which is I think September, October.
Mietek

I think he refers to the seasons in SA.

I think you'd need to cover a good area to look for Wattled Crane, Blue Crane is a common bird by comparison and you should get that with no problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back