• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby Dove Sitting In The Grass 4 Days (1 Viewer)

2 hatched about 22 days ago. One flew away 4 days ago. The 2nd flew to the yard & sat. The mama dove sat above it on the fence, then the baby chick flew up & sat with her until the next morning. Then, mama dove leaves, chick is sitting in the grass again. Mama dove returns & they sit together. Thinking the chick is too weak to fly I try to hand feed it & it flies over the fence & onto a neighbor's fence top. Day 4, today the chick is back in my yard again, sitting in the grass with the mama dove next to it. Question: Is this normal for a healthy dove chick? Is it getting fed? Is it too weak to leave on it's own? Anything I can do for it? Thanks for any help. I know very little about wild birds & I want to see this one survive. I've watched them above my back door since they were 2 eggs.

2 hatched about 22 days ago. One flew away 4 days ago. The 2nd flew to the yard & sat. The mama dove sat above it on the fence, then the baby chick flew up & sat with her until the next morning. Then, mama dove leaves, chick is sitting in the grass again. Mama dove returns & they sit together. Thinking the chick is too weak to fly I try to hand feed it & it flies over the fence & onto a neighbor's fence top. Day 4, today the chick is back in my yard again, sitting in the grass with the mama dove next to it. Question: Is this normal for a healthy dove chick? Is it getting fed? Is it too weak to leave on it's own? Anything I can do for it? Thanks for any help. I know very little about wild birds & I want to see this one survive. I've watched them above my back door since they were 2 eggs.

Should be OK. If it wasn’t eating it would be dead by now. “Mama”, by the way, is likely to be “Papa”, since Mourning Dove fledglings are often left in the care of the male while the female starts a new nesting attempt, sometimes in the old nest, sometimes in new one nearby.

Last edited:
Thanks, interesting info. All is well now. The baby flew to the top of my roof after my post & I could tell it has grown some. Later it went back to the yard. Today it flew to the top of the neighbor's 2 story house & stayed there awhile. I expected it to return tonight but it hasn't & it's not on the roof. 2 grown doves sat on the fence above it these past few days, the parents I'm assuming & sometimes one sat next to it in the grass. I think the baby just didn't want to leave yet. It flew well today, seemed strong & healthy & it's probably ready to start out on it's own. I'll leave the nest in place in case it's needed again. I did get a few pics, not sure how to post them but I'll give it a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back