• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

early birds id help! (1 Viewer)

robbyuk

Robby
I had a walk up to a local resavoir at weekend and spotted three young birds diving in the shallows at a reedbed,they looked to be about one or two week old i dont think i have seen young waterfowl out so early,does anybody have any idea what they could be,there were a group of tufted ducks a couple of coots and a small group of goosanders on the water,the goosanders flew away as i arrived,i believe goosanders do pair up in late winter months and the youngsters did resemble goosanders slightly,i got a couple of pics not great quality but i can post them if neccassary.

Dave:t:

I had a walk up to a local resavoir at weekend and spotted three young birds diving in the shallows at a reedbed,they looked to be about one or two week old i dont think i have seen young waterfowl out so early,does anybody have any idea what they could be,there were a group of tufted ducks a couple of coots and a small group of goosanders on the water,the goosanders flew away as i arrived,i believe goosanders do pair up in late winter months and the youngsters did resemble goosanders slightly,i got a couple of pics not great quality but i can post them if neccassary.

Dave:t:

Not much to go on - post the pics, there are some guys on this forum with fantastic ID skills (not me!). I'm sure someone will have some idea even with less than perfect images

first time i have posted with atachments so i hope this is ok,just edited pic to correct size and noticed an adult bird in reeds behind these youngsters,quite hard to see though,i have some other shots but this the best of the young birds,they were on the other side of the res and i had to put my 1.5 tc on my 300mm lens to get a shot for identifying them,unfortunatly quality of pic suffers alot with this combo.

Attachments

• earlybirds.jpg
    earlybirds.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 67
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back