• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mourning doves (1 Viewer)

ElCucuy

is this normal behavior in mourning doves? just curious. a few of them very regularly feed around my feeder and they seem to be the dominant birds. they will peck the bluejays woodpeckers cardinals and all the others away until they finish. they will put up with the blackbirds but i seen them charge them too. i think they are there the most and theyre the only birds who have gotten used to me, they arent scared at all when i come out to replace feed

it just surprised me cuz i always thought they were little innocent cute fat birds and i love their coo call

Last edited:
Wow! I have never seen this behavior in my Mourning Doves. I'm glad cause I have quite a few.

Wow! I have never seen this behavior in my Mourning Doves. I'm glad cause I have quite a few.

Really never ? they do this here daily. Mine seem only cool with blackbirds but they wont tolerate them coming too close. Im kinda new to feeding birds I like seeing the personalities of each bird, they surprise me daily. they are amazing animals

JoAnn, Founder of BirdFeedersForBirdWatching

I also regularly witness the agressiveness of my mourning doves. My doves like to eat seed off the ground, but they are just as drawn to the bird feeders.

The doves are larger than the other birds at the feeders, so they generally have no trouble running other birds off from a number of my feeders. The Blue Jays will sometimes run the doves off a feeder, but they are skittish and never stay long.

I have multiple bird feeders on my shephards hooks with 3 hooks each. I have open plate feeders, stacker feeders and cage feeders that have plenty of room for the larger birds. I also have tube feeders and a hopper feeder that have perches too small for large birds. The doves ignore the feeders they can not eat at. Also, with multiple feeders, the doves have to choose where they dine and the other birds have access to the other feeders.

I also regularly witness the agressiveness of my mourning doves. My doves like to eat seed off the ground, but they are just as drawn to the bird feeders.

The doves are larger than the other birds at the feeders, so they generally have no trouble running other birds off from a number of my feeders. The Blue Jays will sometimes run the doves off a feeder, but they are skittish and never stay long.

I have multiple bird feeders on my shephards hooks with 3 hooks each. I have open plate feeders, stacker feeders and cage feeders that have plenty of room for the larger birds. I also have tube feeders and a hopper feeder that have perches too small for large birds. The doves ignore the feeders they can not eat at. Also, with multiple feeders, the doves have to choose where they dine and the other birds have access to the other feeders.

yes i can relate. Awesome, thank u for the response

sounds like you sure take good care of your birds

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back