• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kinabatangan: Bilit, Sukau or Abai? (1 Viewer)

Just got back. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Was hard work and managed to see most of my targets. Major birds missed were Giant Pitta (heard) & the Ground Cuckoo. Actually I managed to see the tail of the ground cuckoo and I am still reeling from that ridiculousness. Montane stuff was cleaned up in 3.5 days (1 crocker + 2.5 Kinabalu). But the lowlands was tough going. Will write detailed trip report later.

Great report, as usual!
It saves me re-writing my own report, as I am writing another one at the moment about C-Peru...

Great trip report Madpitta. I am off to Sabah over Christmas and this has been exactly what I needed to prepare. I have a couple of questions that maybe you, or others here, can help me with. I have a bit of a dodgy hip and can no longer do the lengthy hikes that I used to to. Without my own vehicle, will it be easy to get a taxi up to Timpohon Gate on Mount Kinabalu each morning. Also, is it a long hike from there to get up to a decent altitude to get the highland stuff, such as Friendly Warbler. I am still able to do a few kilometers without any problems, but I will want to keep the heavy walking to a minimum. If necessary, I may have to hie a car in Kota Kinabalu for that leg of the trip.
I am also wanting to get some recordings sorted out, but I see that birdsounds (or what's left of it) don't have anything for Borneo. Did you just go through Xenocanto and download them one by one, or is there an easier way to get the required recordings?
Thanks

Tom

Great trip report Madpitta. I am off to Sabah over Christmas and this has been exactly what I needed to prepare. I have a couple of questions that maybe you, or others here, can help me with. I have a bit of a dodgy hip and can no longer do the lengthy hikes that I used to to. Without my own vehicle, will it be easy to get a taxi up to Timpohon Gate on Mount Kinabalu each morning. Also, is it a long hike from there to get up to a decent altitude to get the highland stuff, such as Friendly Warbler. I am still able to do a few kilometers without any problems, but I will want to keep the heavy walking to a minimum. If necessary, I may have to hie a car in Kota Kinabalu for that leg of the trip.
I am also wanting to get some recordings sorted out, but I see that birdsounds (or what's left of it) don't have anything for Borneo. Did you just go through Xenocanto and download them one by one, or is there an easier way to get the required recordings?
Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

There were no taxis at the park HQ early in the morning (I saw some in the evening though). The in-park lodgings might be able to arrange for morning rides up so I suggest you check with them in advance. Ditto if you are staying outside but the cost could be substantial. Driving is easy in Malaysia, renting is cheap and roads are generally in very good shape so that is the option I recommend. You can also hitch a ride up every morning but then you'd be dependent on others, which is not conducive for birding imo. There were cars going up early morning but there is no guarantee there will be when you are there (it turns out, most of the ones I saw were for repair crews and if repairs are completed then perhaps traffic will get sparser). You should also consider that sometimes taxis are not available in the late evenings so things could get tricky if you are staying outside the park.

~Pritam.

I have Birds of Tropical Asia CD but over the years I have downloaded a *lot* from xeno-canto. I try to learn calls before I go on a trip so that usually includes a review of what I have and what I don't. Then I download that smaller list of calls one by one (usually matching the area where I'm going).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back