• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (2 Viewers)

A bit of a scorcher here in Torry today. I had a look around Nigg Bay this evening but it was all fairly routine. Two Pheasants were calling. I got some reasonable pictures of Reed Bunting and Lesser Black-back anyway.

Attachments

• Reed Bunting_Girdle Ness_200520a.jpg
    Reed Bunting_Girdle Ness_200520a.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 44
  • LBB Gull_Girdle Ness_200520a.jpg
    LBB Gull_Girdle Ness_200520a.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 27
The Reed Bunting Is a great shot,Andrew. :t:

Thanks! I think I got lucky that one was singing in the open near the path.

Not too much today. A Knot was in Greyhope Bay and two Puffins went past quite close to the shore.

Tomorrow looks potentially interesting weather-wise. We shall see.

I was hoping for a bit of late migrant activity today but there was no evidence of any in the wind. Things were pretty quiet with the best bird a moulting Sanderling in Greyhope Bay. Also still five Purple Sandpiper and twelve Turnstone still around.

Quite windy still in Torry and the birding was hard work with not too much in return. In Nigg Bay in the morning, it was nice to see a family group of Long-tailed Tits, including eight tightly packed fledglings. Interestingly, these were being attended by four adults. Earlier in spring there seemed to be two pairs in close proximity along the railway embankment, so perhaps they're working together. Apart from the usual breeding birds, things were quiet with a pair of Bullfinches, at least one Lesser Redpoll, Yellowhammer and Pheasant the best of it.

A look around the Ness in the early evening was also fairly quiet. The Sanderling was again in Greyhope Bay. A Bonxie was marauding offshore.

Attachments

• LT Tit_Girdle Ness_230520b.jpg
    LT Tit_Girdle Ness_230520b.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 26
  • LT Tit_Girdle Ness_230520c.jpg
    LT Tit_Girdle Ness_230520c.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 30
  • LT Tits_Girdle Ness_230520a.jpg
    LT Tits_Girdle Ness_230520a.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 52
Yeah.... that last one is gorgeous, isn't it.

The wind's dropped a bit here now Andrew and swung round a little too. Hopefully it'll be a tad calmer tomorrow.

Headed down to St Fitticks Park area today and shall (weather permitting) take In the north side of "The Ness" tomorrow.
On the Pond,I could not see any of the Mallard ducklings but they could have been out of sight,as the vegetation Is quite long.I did catch sight of two Moorhen chicks,with a parent and some drake Mallards.
A Sedge Warbler was calling frequently and there seemed to be good numbers of Reed Buntings around also.House and Sand Martins were busy feeding on the Insects around.

A walk up to the Railway Bridge,did not produce the hoped for Bullfinch or Long tailed Tits but there were plenty of Willow Warblers singing and a Common Whitethroat landed on a nearbye fence.Chaffinch,Goldfinch,Linnets and a couple of Wrens were nice to see.

Looking over to the Sewage Works roof,I could not see any Lapwing but Oyster Catchers were making themselves heard,amongst the nesting Gulls.Finally,the only bird I seen on the water at the Bay of Nigg,was a single Guilliemot.

Interesting sightings BN. I did see a Lapwing on the waterworks yesterday, so I think they're still around, hopefully with the female incubating.

Today I wandered around the Ness through the middle of the day, in somewhat lighter winds than we've had over recent days. A Knot was in Greyhope Bay and there were still 18 Turnstone. The pair of Stonechats on the south bank were feeding two recently-fledged juveniles, which was good to see. I also saw two Ravens over on Tullos Hill, the first for a while. 17 Swifts over Torry was my best count of the spring so far.

I've been out every day this week but it's been really quiet, with summer very much settling in. Today was a bit more interesting with two species I've not seen here for a long while. Late this afternoon I was casually looking out my back window when I picked up a flock of 17 Canada Geese heading north along the coast, presumably on moult migration. Rather staggeringly they're my first here for ten years!

I headed out during the evening with the temperature still warm. On Greyhope Bay there was a nice gathering of waders with 20 Turnstone and three Knot. Better still was a Grey Plover pottering about on the rocks. That was my first here for over six years.

Here's a picture of the grape enthusiast.

Attachments

• Grey Plover_Girdle Ness_290520a.jpg
    Grey Plover_Girdle Ness_290520a.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 47
Another sunny day here in Torry, although a bit cooler than yesterday. In the morning I had a good look around Nigg Bay, hoping for interesting stuff singing. It was pretty quiet though, apart from the usual stuff. A flock of 40 Common Scoters flew south across the mouth of the bay. A Redpoll was flying around.

Early evening I headed around the Ness again and it was reasonably interesting. I followed my first Canada Geese for ten years yesterday with another one today, again heading north. I even managed a ghostly picture of it (see below).

The Grey Plover was still in Greyhope Bay. Other waders there included a busy group of 11 Knot, 19 Turnstone and two Dunlin. Goosander numbers are building up for the summer, with nine now present. Offshore a few birds were moving, including two Manx Shearwaters, a Puffin, an Arctic Tern and a Red-throated Diver. A late Wheatear was on the golf course.

Attachments

• Canada Goose_Girdle Ness_300520a.jpg
    Canada Goose_Girdle Ness_300520a.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Grey Plover_Girdle Ness_300520a.jpg
    Grey Plover_Girdle Ness_300520a.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Knot_Girdle Ness_300520a.jpg
    Knot_Girdle Ness_300520a.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Skylark_Girdle Ness_300520a.jpg
    Skylark_Girdle Ness_300520a.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 31
A fine and quite warm day here in Torry. In Nigg Bay, things were pretty much as they were. There seemed to be a few more young Moorhens around.

A walk round the Ness in quite delightful conditions in the evening was improved further by some very good views of a young Otter. Initially it was on the shore below the allotments, where it spent some time rolling around on its back having a good scratch. It then went into the water and I was able to follow it for several hundred metres, almost up to Skate's Nose.

Not too much else was around. A Whimbrel was calling from somewhere but wasn't seen. Greyhope Bay held 23 Turnstone and a Dunlin.

Attachments

• Reed Bunting_Girdle Ness_310520a.jpg
    Reed Bunting_Girdle Ness_310520a.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Reed Bunting_Girdle Ness_310520b.jpg
    Reed Bunting_Girdle Ness_310520b.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Otter_Girdle Ness_310520a.jpg
    Otter_Girdle Ness_310520a.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 36
Fairly quiet this evening. Four Knot went south, rather strangely, offshore. A nice group of six Manx Shearwaters went north at fairly close range.

A walk around the North Bank this morning was very quiet,apart from 4 Common Whitethroat at different locations.Despite having another look for Stonechat on the South Bank,I yet again drew a blank.A regular passage of Auks and a single Gannet went North from "The Coo",where a pair of Swallows were feeding young,through the broken window.

Strangest sighting of the day for me was,14 Canada Geese flying low,South over Balnagask Road.The second time I have seen this species flying over Balnagask Road this year.

Rumours via social media today are saying that Dragados,the company behind the new Harbour at the Bay of Nigg have withdrawn from the project,leaving the area (and project) In a terrible mess.

Forgot to mention yesterday,that I was saddened by some graffiti spray painted on the wall of "The Coo".Buena Suerte and Vama Veche have been plastered on the white wash surround,In purple paint.

Why ? Just Why ? :C

Rumours via social media today are saying that Dragados,the company behind the new Harbour at the Bay of Nigg have withdrawn from the project,leaving the area (and project) In a terrible mess.

Forgot to mention yesterday,that I was saddened by some graffiti spray painted on the wall of "The Coo".Buena Suerte and Vama Veche have been plastered on the white wash surround,In purple paint.

Why ? Just Why ? :C

The Nigg Bay harbour is certainly looking a bit of a mess. I wonder what will happen with it, or with any of the other plans there seem to be for the area. Also, some bad fly tipping lately, with a huge pile of stuff near Greyhope Bay today.

There were a few birds in the cold wind this evening. A nice pale phase Arctic Skua went north and a very gingery Bonxie did the same. Otherwise, two Puffins and an Arctic Tern.

Another evening with coat and gloves on. A dark phase Arctic Skua went south. A Manx Shearwater and a Puffin were also passing. A Sanderling was in Greyhope Bay.

A warmer day here today, after the 'winter' of the past couple. A look around Nigg Bay in the morning was mostly quiet. There are a few quite well-grown Moorhen around marsh now. An interesting bird, that I think has been around all spring, is the 'alba' wagtail in the photo below. It's paired up with a Pied but looks fairly like a White. I'm not sure it is though (seems to have too many darker blotches on the mantle and belly) so is perhaps an 'intermediate' bird, which can sometimes crop up.

The Ness late afternoon produced a moderately interesting seawatch. Two Bonxies, 19 Manx Shearwaters, three Puffins, two Arctic Terns, a Red-throated Diver and two Curlew were the main events. Seven Turnstone were still in Greyhope Bay.

Attachments

• Alba Wagtail_Girdle Ness_060620a.jpg
    Alba Wagtail_Girdle Ness_060620a.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 45

Users who are viewing this thread

Back