• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nuthatch - and, what is it? (1 Viewer)

cango

Taken few days ago. Nuthatch's nesting. pair going in and out. Then this one comes out with this in the beak/mouth. Thought first it was poop, but no, does not look like it. Insect? (what's left of it?) Something the kids did not like?

Someone have and idea?

thanks in advance

Attachments

• P5200172-copy.jpg
    P5200172-copy.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
Not 100% sure from the photo, but nuthatches make the entrance holes smaller using mud stuck to the tree branch/trunk. You can see some both above and below the hole in your picture. When the juveniles are about to fledge they often remove some of the mud to make the hole larger.

Could be that!

Not 100% sure from the photo, but nuthatches make the entrance holes smaller using mud stuck to the tree branch/trunk. You can see some both above and below the hole in your picture. When the juveniles are about to fledge they often remove some of the mud to make the hole larger.

Could be that!

did not know they removed some, when they are about to fledge :)

This hole is just on the side of a walking path, so I came across it few weeks ago, when they (or she) was still mudding up the hole. Therefore, I'm not so sure that that is mud pieces. In the part further away from its beak, you can see some curly thing, bit shiny, which gave me the impression of the tail of some (moth?) insect or the like.

Do you think it could be a wasps nest? Or some other insect nest? I looks like it might have “cells”?

We have similar in our lockdown area - nearly ready to fledge!

Attachments

• D78EF5BC-6714-4152-BD70-97842E7DE8A9.jpeg
    D78EF5BC-6714-4152-BD70-97842E7DE8A9.jpeg
    578.5 KB · Views: 17
Looks very much like a piece of fungus, one of the species that grows in rot holes in trees, presumably it's been growing inside the nest cavity and as it gets larger it blocks the nest, removing pieces will aid the growth of the chicks and prevent the nest cavity becoming blocked.

Looks very much like a piece of fungus, one of the species that grows in rot holes in trees, presumably it's been growing inside the nest cavity and as it gets larger it blocks the nest, removing pieces will aid the growth of the chicks and prevent the nest cavity becoming blocked.

yes, I think you might be right, by the looks of it. Why throw it away if it is an insect. The layers that is seems to have reminds of fungus as well.

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back