• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ross Links area (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

Hi all,

I wondered if anybody was aware of access arrangements for the Ross Links area, specifically the tracks running NW/SE between Piers/Kirkley/Horseshoe woods?
Any interesting records from this area during the autumn or is this an overlooked/underwatched part of the coast?
Any advise or information would be appreciated.

No official access other than along the public footpath from the farm to the beach, and along the beach. I'm not sure how the farmer would react if you ventured off it - you could claim to be lost the first time, but that would't wash with repeated visits!

Ok, thanks for that Nutty, I will invest in an OS map and look at a few other areas.
Excited about my first autumn visit to the area in at least 15 years, Lindisfarne will hopefully produce some decent birds, but keen to also try some areas off of the beaten track. We've done Norfolk on and off for the last 10 years with varying amounts of success, but keen to try somewhere new - Somerset is fantastic, but you don't really get drift migrants!
I'm surprised that seemly few birds are reported from Bamburgh dunes, is this lack of observer coverage, suppression or do the Farnes act as a "block" for any birds hitting the coast?

I'd suspect a combination of low coverage (there is definitely some, but local birders seem to do the north side of Bamburgh up towards Stag Rocks & Budle Bay rather more) and Farnes mopping up many of them. Certainly worth a try though; I've had Pallas's Warbler there.

Thanks for that. Me and some friends stayed at Budle a couple of springs ago, absolutely beautiful place - we had a Spoonbill on the estuary one evening too.
I'll have a look at some maps, it may well be my only birding trip this year, bit of a change to be UK based. The range of species on Lindisfarne is pretty staggering, but it sounds as though there are a few regulars birding the island.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back