• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler ID - Cavtat, Croatia (1 Viewer)

Mike Hill

After the success of my previous request I thought I would try with another bird. At the time I photographed this I was thinking Chiffchaff, but I'm not so sure now. It did pump its tail occasionally.

Edited to add....having checked my notes I made a comment that there was a "chack" call heard prior to this bird appearing but it didn't call (as far as I can remember) whilst it was in view. The same call and a similar looking bird was seen on two other occasions in the same area but not photographed.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

Attachments

• th_DSC_8918.JPG
    th_DSC_8918.JPG
    389.7 KB · Views: 162
  • th_DSC_8924.JPG
    th_DSC_8924.JPG
    395.9 KB · Views: 153
  • th_DSC_8929.JPG
    th_DSC_8929.JPG
    396.4 KB · Views: 122
  • th_DSC_8931.JPG
    th_DSC_8931.JPG
    420.2 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Hmmn? This bird's white highlights are a bit random if you examine the photos? Which suggest artifacts. When i first studied these I thought Hippolais/Reed Warbler. And then made me think EOW. I don't think it is an Icky. I think it is an EOW. The call described and the tail action also convince me. Would like to hear further thoughts?

Hmmn? This bird's white highlights are a bit random if you examine the photos? Which suggest artifacts. When i first studied these I thought Hippolais/Reed Warbler. And then made me think EOW. I don't think it is an Icky. I think it is an EOW. The call described and the tail action also convince me. Would like to hear further thoughts?

I thought it looked a bit strange too Phil. The yellowish throat on the 3rd photo persuaded me to Icterine. The bill is bothering me, it looks strangely small.

It's an worn Icterine all right. The PP is too long for EOW. Although the plumage is worn, there is still a distinct yellowish cast to the underparts (most noticeable on the throat) that rules out Olive-tree. And the bird does not have the jizz/structure of Olive-tree warbler anyway. The white edges to the tertials, secondaries and greater coverts are real and spot on for Icterine.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back