• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca ~ S'Albufera (1 Viewer)

woodsc

Hi
I was talking to a fellow birder the other day and he briefly mentioned visiting a nature reserve in the north/east of Mallorca and commented on the variety of birds there. He advised the best time to visit was in May which is the breeding season over there.
I have done some research on the net as to which reserve he may have visited and concluded it was the S'Albufera Reserve.

Reading Trip Advisor the comments are mixed some saying there was little bird activity ~ some commenting you could hear birds but not see them.

I am new to bird photography and seriously considering visiting the island for a taster.

Can anyone out there offer any help/guidance/advice?

Thank You
Regards..Colin

Hi
I was talking to a fellow birder the other day and he briefly mentioned visiting a nature reserve in the north/east of Mallorca and commented on the variety of birds there. He advised the best time to visit was in May which is the breeding season over there.
I have done some research on the net as to which reserve he may have visited and concluded it was the S'Albufera Reserve.

Reading Trip Advisor the comments are mixed some saying there was little bird activity ~ some commenting you could hear birds but not see them.

I am new to bird photography and seriously considering visiting the island for a taster.

Can anyone out there offer any help/guidance/advice?

Thank You
Regards..Colin
Albufera is a top, top birding site at any time of year but spring is particularly good. its impossible to begin describing all the possible species and the photography opportunities are also excellent. You can't go wrong.
Base yourself in the north & you are close to many other good sites as well. Find guide by G.Hearl - its getting a bit dated but you'll really get the potential.
Andrew

Another for s'Albufera. Spring definitely best: later in the year, the reeds are over head-height and it is much harder work (though there are several hides that make birding/photography possible). Haven't been in May but late April is great at this site.

I was based In Playa de Muro right next to S'Albufera In July and although as expected,It was not the peak time for birding,It Is still a fantastic place to visit and I seen plenty fantastic birds.I would Imagine that April/early May would be fantastic and as mentioned In previous posts,there are Hides for photography and also other opportunites should present themselves for more photography.

A fantastic place and I shall be back again In 2014.

There is an excellent book in english, "a Birding Tourist's Guide to Majorca" that cover 17 sites and 26 itineries that I find invaluable whenever I go there. I've been in winter and spring and there is always plenty to see especially for relatively inexpierenced bird watchers. But also rare species like Red Knobbed Coot and Marbled Duck can be observed from hides or walking across bridges there.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back