• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swifts in Bern (1 Viewer)

shtol

At Sunday, 8.11.2015 I were in Bern and from the Tower of Bern Munister i've observed swifts. I'm not sure what exactly specie of swift it is, but as I understand, swift in November is unusual for Switzerland.

This place on ornito.ch

Attachments

• a5MkRRaELaI.jpg
    a5MkRRaELaI.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 209
A Common Swift and indeed unsual at this time. But with the weather we have currently, you could forgive them for thinking its spring already...

If you come back to Bern in April/Mai, you'll see plenty of Alpine Swifts.

I think it's Common. The only other option is Pallid. I'm not an expert with these, but I don't see any indications that point to Pallid. Besides, these would be very unlikely, even more so in November.

PS: for ID questions, better post up in the ID Q&A section, you're likely to get more answers there.

Crag Martins are not very unusual at this time of year and some were present in Bern pretty well all last winter. Quite a few don't leave Europe at all in winter and many can be found along the south coast of France, around Nice for example.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back