• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Albufera Majorca an update (1 Viewer)

beaker

Andy Firth
I have just returned from a family holiday in Playa de Muro Majorca but managed to spend two or three hours each morning in the Albufera. Their have been one or two changes since I last visited in Spring 2004 so I thought it would be worth posting for anyone thinking of visiting.
Access is still by foot or push bike and even though official opening times are 09.00-17.00 I birded from first light 06.30 every morning and spoke to the warden who never questioned me being on the reserve before the official opening time.
Their is now a raised boardwalk on the inland end of the entrance road which I would imagine would be good in Spring when the birds are vocal as it gives some elevation to view over and into the reedbed. An interactive visitor centre has been built and even my kids were entertained for half an hour or so.
The tower hide which was closed when I last visited has re-opened and affords excellent views over the reserve. One great improvement is that the hide at the waterworks behind the reserve has been replaced by a veiwing platform and this gives fantastic views as far as the mountains.
In the week I saw four other birders and one day saw no one at all (talk about under watched).
The birding was steady, wader passage included curlew,wood,green,common and marsh(not seen by me) sandpiper,greenshank,black tailed godwit,golden plover,spotted redshank,dunlin,kentish,little ringed plover,little stint.A flock of 24 stone curlew was impressive.Slender billed and audouins gull were seen well.Osrey,marsh harrier,booted eagle,kestrel and peregrine were seen over the reserve.
All the expected egrets and herons were present and little bittern was seen well. A greater flamingo was nice and a superb roller seen on the wires by the road to the waterworks was great to see.White headed duck, crested coot ,purple swamp hen and marbled duck were all seen well.Passerines were difficult but hoopoe,woodchat shrike,zitting cisticola,great reed warbler amongst others were seen.
If like me you have a family but can't bear the thought of a week away with no birding I would think this area would be ideal.One of the best reserves in Europe and only a few other birders early morning, lovely.

Andy firth

Thanks for that, Andy.

It's a great isle and when I win the lottery (yeah right) that is the one place I would buy a house.

John.

Good to hear whats around the area. We wll be visiting Mallorca in the near future.

BTW What Hotel did you stay at, was it far from the reserve and was it a good hotel.

Marmot said:
Good to hear whats around the area. We wll be visiting Mallorca in the near future.

BTW What Hotel did you stay at, was it far from the reserve and was it a good hotel.
Marmot:-

We stayed at a hotel called Viva Blue. It was excellent and 10 mins walk from the entrance to the park.The walk from the entrance of the park is another 15 mins to the first hide.I did the reserve on bike one day with the kids and covered a lot more ground.Cheers.

Andy Firth

Andy, many thanks for the update on the Albufera, I shall be returning to Mallorca for the umteenth time over the past 15yrs next spring. I have witnessed many changes on the Island over this time, with not many being for the better. I can remember the bird meeting at the Pollencia hotel when the bar was crammed to capacity, with the late Graham Hearl taking centre stage, "great times".
As I have said on one of my trip report on real birder there is really something special about spring birding on the Med and the early morning walk into the Albufera, incapulates that perfectly. Great Reed Warblers compete with Cetti's and common Reed Warblers ever yard of the way to the first bridge. Attention is then given to the Tamerisk's to the right of the new boardwalk to count the Night Herons which are settling down in their day time roost. As the sun is problamatic in the CIM hide we normally head straight for Bishops 1, braving the miriad cobwebs that cling to your face, then opening the flaps very slowly and quietly hoping to see the resident Water Rails that live in the vegetation adjacent to the hide. On ocassions we have been rewarded with Spotted Crake. I greet your news about the new viewing platform at the deporadora with mixed feeling. I have very fond memories of the hide, especially in the early days, when any thing could drop into the water works. It was also a place in the late afternoon to meet a couple of Mallorca's semi resident birders, Arthur Stag and David Wellings both were excellent birders in their own right and were happy to pass on the local birding info. Both are nolonger with us and Mallorca is the poorer for it. On my last visit I spent half a day cleaning and repairing the hide as best as I could, so fond of the place are my memories. I have been saying for several years now that I have done the place to death and won't be returning, but once I have missed a year I just have to go back. Roll-on spring 2007.
Pat

Last edited:
Just returned from majorca myself (literally today) a very slow time of year at the mo. Albufera proved quite dissapointing, purple heron appear to have departed, as have great reed and woodchat shrikes (either that or i was just extremely unlucky). Great white egrets appear not to have arrived yet, and no bluethroats were spotted. A few sparrowhawks were seen over the reserve however (quite a good tick for the time of the year), and I managed to get spectacular views of the roosting starlings which have just arrived back. All other regulars were there however, maybe i just didnt try hard enough ;) If anyones going however, I suggest you make the effort to walk or bike to the hide by the power station, extremely productive in terms of waders, and i should imagine the areas around the hide would be perfect for bluethroat and other passerines

Hi Jess,
Very surprised it was so quiet, had some great times mid oct. with lots of Great reeds, little bitterns wood chats, hope to be there next year mid april and mid oct. if i can find somewhere cheap.

S. G.

I was to be honest, didnt even hear the great reeds singing, as you normally do. Maybe I was just unlucky. I stayed at the hotel platja dor which was an easy walk away from the nature reserve, had lovely views over the mountain ranges too. Think im gonna try april myself next year, and maybe have more success

We just returned from Cala Bona last night. We'd planned on a trip to Albufera but never made it. Still we managed c.45 species around the area we stayed.

We'll likely have a week in the Alcudia area next Spring once we work out the best time/hotel and hopefully spend most of the week wandering around Albufera.

My wife was even doing some hotel research today - quite promising ;)

Jess2002 said:
Just returned from majorca myself (literally today) a very slow time of year at the mo. Albufera proved quite dissapointing, purple heron appear to have departed, as have great reed and woodchat shrikes (either that or i was just extremely unlucky). Great white egrets appear not to have arrived yet, and no bluethroats were spotted. A few sparrowhawks were seen over the reserve however (quite a good tick for the time of the year), and I managed to get spectacular views of the roosting starlings which have just arrived back. All other regulars were there however, maybe i just didnt try hard enough ;) If anyones going however, I suggest you make the effort to walk or bike to the hide by the power station, extremely productive in terms of waders, and i should imagine the areas around the hide would be perfect for bluethroat and other passerines

Hi Jess, sorry you found Mallorca a little disappointing but birds can be a little thin on the ground especially if we have a mild Autumn in northern Europe.
A couple of tips that may help your next visit are, that in a normal year as a general rule Great Reed & Woodchats will have gone by early October although a few may still be present. I have had the the odd late Great Reed down at what is now called the Arthur Stag hide. Again the vast majority of Purple Herons have left the island although as previously the odd bird can still be found. These tend to be juveniles and a good spot for late birds is the Albufereta.
I am puzzled by your quote that "Great White Egret hadn't arrived yet". These birds can now be seen at almost any time of the year with birds present throughout the summer. Again a good place during the Autumn is from "Orange Bridge" which, incidently is now green.
Although Bluethroats do occur throughout the reserve the best place by far is the scrubby land behind the "Deporadora" (water works), incidently I had 3 bird disputing winter patch's last Autumn (see my trip report on, realbirder.com, this is also an excellent spot for the small colony of Waxbills that have taken up residence on this part of the reserve. A first for me on the island last year.
If you require any info on mallorcan birding I am very happy to give you what info I have

Last edited:
Mallorca birding in late October

Patrick Hayes said:
If you require any info on mallorcan birding I am very happy to give you what info I have
:hi:
We are returning to Puerto Pollença for the week 24 - 31 October, very soon in fact. I was looking forward to going to the Albufera again.....last time we didn't manage more than the first half-mile as Leonard wasn't able to walk the distance. Even so, we did see squacco heron, egrets and a marsh harrier. We have been assured that, with a disabled disk, we can take a car into the reserve, so we'll have another attempt this time, even though it seems there will not be much to see, unless any arrivals are due.

I'd appreciate any specific info, Patrick, if you can spare the time. Last time we did see Eleanora Falcons at the Formentor lighthouse and Black Vultures at the Dam up in the north-west mountains.

TIA

June Atkinson said:
:hi:
We are returning to Puerto Pollença for the week 24 - 31 October, very soon in fact. I was looking forward to going to the Albufera again.....last time we didn't manage more than the first half-mile as Leonard wasn't able to walk the distance. Even so, we did see squacco heron, egrets and a marsh harrier. We have been assured that, with a disabled disk, we can take a car into the reserve, so we'll have another attempt this time, even though it seems there will not be much to see, unless any arrivals are due.

I'd appreciate any specific info, Patrick, if you can spare the time. Last time we did see Eleanora Falcons at the Formentor lighthouse and Black Vultures at the Dam up in the north-west mountains.

TIA

Hi June, I would be happy to furnish you with any info I can. Rather than take up space on the birdforum site can I direct you to the realbirder site where you will see my Mallorca update which was October 2005. If you require specific info after reading it I will do my best to answer any queries you may have.
It would be helpfull if you could give me some idea of Leonards mobility so I can furnish you with meaningfull info. The site is realbirder.com it's totally free and hopefully will answer some of your questions.
Regards
Pat

Thanks for the info! I was under the impression from a few people that great whites were generally a winter visitor, but can be expected from late september, either way i didnt see one :( As for the scrub by the power station, sat and studied there for a while and not much luck, as you say however it is very dependable on the weather that year.

As for the disabled disc, lots of cars were driving through the reserve and parking at the visitors centre, and then driving down the sa punta track (i think thats what its called) the tracks which are available by car are clearly sign posted so you shouldnt have much trouble :) hope u have a nice time there!

Ian - if you want a list of hotels close to the reserve let me know and i'll try and remember a few for you. I think the best one (if a little expensive) is the hotel parc d'natural (i think thats what its called) which is right opposite the nature reserve. Other than that there is the Esperanza (not advised if your not much for kids), then you move to the maritimo, and a couple of iberostar hotels (name escapes me at the moment) Other than that I really would advise the platja dor, its a thomson gold hotel so adults only, and is an all inclusive. Its prob around half an hours walk from the reserve, but is however in walking distance of the port, and other local sites as well as the nature reserve. Cost roughly around 450 quid all inclusive, which will obviously be a lot less early next year.

Jess2002 said:
...................Ian - if you want a list of hotels close to the reserve let me know and i'll try and remember a few for you. I think the best one (if a little expensive) is the hotel parc d'natural (i think thats what its called) which is right opposite the nature reserve. Other than that there is the Esperanza (not advised if your not much for kids), then you move to the maritimo, and a couple of iberostar hotels (name escapes me at the moment) Other than that I really would advise the platja dor, its a thomson gold hotel so adults only, and is an all inclusive. Its prob around half an hours walk from the reserve, but is however in walking distance of the port, and other local sites as well as the nature reserve. Cost roughly around 450 quid all inclusive, which will obviously be a lot less early next year.
Thanks for that :t:

I'll have a look at the Platja Dor - we'd prefer something a bit closer, but prices do seem pretty high for the ones we've looked at so far. Kids - definitely to avoid ;)

Mallorca trip

Patrick Hayes said:
Hi June, I would be happy to furnish you with any info I can. Rather than take up space on the birdforum site can I direct you to the realbirder site where you will see my Mallorca update which was October 2005. If you require specific info after reading it I will do my best to answer any queries you may have.
It would be helpfull if you could give me some idea of Leonards mobility so I can furnish you with meaningfull info. The site is realbirder.com it's totally free and hopefully will answer some of your questions.
Regards
Pat
Thank you so much for your swift response and direction to your realbirder site.
I have had a good look and saved the relevant page/s so we shall have plenty of general info. and the reminder from Jess about the cars' access on Albufera is helpful - thank you!
We are staying at the Illa d'Or at Puerto Pollensa........... a quiet and very relaxing place where we stayed in October 2004. I hired a car for a few days and we did most of the northern spots, but I'd like to explore some of the other place mentioned in your site.
If I say that we have a stairlift at home, that will indicate that my husband's mobility isn't all that good, although he can manage short walks on the level.
We're keen birdwatchers, so will go prepared, even if conditions are not too promising. We'd love to see a rock thrush this time - no luck last time, although we have seen one in the Auvergne - beautiful bird!!
If you can think of anything more, especially anything to avoid because of difficult terrain, I'd appreciate a personal message. Many thanks!

Last edited:
If your staying at puerto pollesa June, make sure you make the trip to albufereta, just to the south of the main part, similar species to albufera, and a lot more scrub for passerines! Also all on the flat if my memory serves me correctly. The bocquer valley is always a good shout, but not sure how access is going at the mo. Excellent for raptors, stone curlew and many other species, however may not be the best place for mobility. I didnt PM you this incase i'm wrong in which case i'ms ure i'll be corrected ;)

Might be a bit late for rock thrush at this time of year, but there is mention of a couple of resident birds at cuber resivoir, always worth a look. Blue rock thrush is quite a common site, I always found formentor the best place for them .

and if its any consilation, the weather was goregous for the whole week I was there! Also try and get hold of the guide by Graham Hearl, slightly dated now but nevertheless invaluable.

Last edited:
June Atkinson said:
Thank you so much for your swift response and direction to your realbirder site.
I have had a good look and saved the relevant page/s so we shall have plenty of general info. and the reminder from Jess about the cars' access on Albufera is helpful - thank you!
We are staying at the Illa d'Or at Puerto Pollensa........... a quiet and very relaxing place where we stayed in October 2004. I hired a car for a few days and we did most of the northern spots, but I'd like to explore some of the other place mentioned in your site.
If I say that we have a stairlift at home, that will indicate that my husband's mobility isn't all that good, although he can manage short walks on the level.
We're keen birdwatchers, so will go prepared, even if conditions are not too promising. We'd love to see a rock thrush this time - no luck last time, although we have seen one in the Auvergne - beautiful bird!!
If you can think of anything more, especially anything to avoid because of difficult terrain, I'd appreciate a personal message. Many thanks!

Hi June, I'm a little concerned about access to the Albufereta as you have to negotiate what Graham Hearle calls limestone pavement. This is fairly uneven and in order to access this pavement you have a step which is approximately 300mm. The area where you park the car for the Albufereta can be productive with Waders, Egrets, and Herons on the stream. Passerines can be found in the scrub with Tree Sparrow possible in the adjacent trees.
Eddies track at the Salinas de Lavente is possible as long as you have had at least 4 dry days, as a mobile person I wouldn't consider the long journey if the criteria of dry days isn't met.
The lighthouse is out as the terain is very rocky.
Cuber is a possibility as you have a fairly flat metalled road all the way to the dam, just past the dam is the quarry which is the most reliable site in Mallorca for Rock Thrush although I'm not entirely sure of their status, I think they are summer visitors and will have left by the time you arrive. Most of Mallorcas resident raptors can be seen here plus Passerines in the scrub pipits and larks in the open areas, plus Crag martins around the dam. Again choose a very still day, any sort of breeze on the coast, turns into a howling gale at Cuber it can also be quite chilly at this time of year and almost impossible to use optics.
One place I can recommend is the Son Marc valley, this is not generally known to visiting birders, and you won't find it in any of the bird guides. Take the LLuc/Cuber road out of Porto Pollencia and after approximately 5.4k you will see a left hand turn signed Son Marc. Park by the new bridge over the stream and slowly walk up the valley. It is full of small finca's with olive groves and citrus plantations. The valley is bordered by steep mountains on all sides. keep checking the ridges for raptors especially Black Vultures and Booted Eagles, Serin, Corn/Cirl Buntings, wryneck, firecrest, and Thekla Lark are all possible together with the usual Finches and Tits.
If you have any specific sites you would like to have info on please let me know and I will be pleased to give you what information I have.
Regards
Pat

Hi there.I have just been reading your october report in which you mention golden eagle.I didnt think that they were resident on the island?Can you let me know.I was on the island in may 2005 and heard that a golden eagle seen at albuffera was a escapee from a falconer?A magical island.

It may be of interest that Albufera features on Wild Mallorca 17:30 BBC2 today as well as the rest of the island of course.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back