• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wren nesting (1 Viewer)

hong

She is incubating 6 eggs now(http://nestwatcher.com/ Live streaming works only with browser Firefox).
Om00BSYAUaMewF054D7eJRDVjQVsHqqDMylNeRxBqiT0_3aqXIMoNTBWucbit6ozt9k5xxsMANNFudQQokuJ44EYmNNzed0VY_hbAwudFQTOh0fFAHaW15hEIuUVhra2c5VM8raMTf0

XCsr3bbn3_HVfOeRKNXGeqsw-K-zQYIMd5_s3vVRhhGtUd-wV_hl3Z1CvWGdc3F01QYCHh-JH0-JuV-6jS2xpjyjwMT3vl49vLfW7GqKHZAnKQ86EUocXDwMOYZlBUVMZZeyQ0ambl8

8AWmjgyj3A6iculcHgrUhJId9obS0LgiHGXHlNEtYc50w9QlvFw2_e9nRWRC2fOBLjrcPfLaNrrVuNQqu_LlwHcjVtUoLgg7idgm_mXTqSdGQmlHzp7DSa-2FiG9ikcX8M_59je91lM

Last edited:
She incubated her eggs for about 10 days, and I thought the eggs were just about to hatch. Unfortunately, she has not returned since she left more than a day ago.
I feel helpless and do not know what to do. Could anyone shed some light or offer a tip on this?
The incubating wren left the nest at 16:35:09 Friday, 2017-07-14 (EDT). A wren (not sure if it is the same one) entered the nest and took a peek at the IR camera or eggs at 16:36:53 Friday, at 14:10 today (Saturday). There has been no incubation for 26 hours by now.

My guess is the female has been predated, and hence the nest will now be abandoned. Hope not, but 26 hours is a long gap at this stage. Either that or the eggs are infertile and she's given up. Once it's clear in another day or so that she's not coming back break one of the eggs. If it's liquid inside they were infertile. If a pretty well formed embryo, then she died or abandoned the nest for some reason. Harsh, but reality for lots of birds at this time of year in the Northern Hemisphere.

Mick

Thank you for the tip, Mick. That is what I have been figuring - her being a victim of a predator. There are red-tailed hawks and cooper's hawks around though not many. I will wait till tomorrow before opening the birdhouse to examine the eggs.

I don't know why that I do not get any notifications though I have subscribed to this thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back