• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher ID South Llano River SP Texas USA (1 Viewer)

jonsund

Florida Naturalist
Not certain about this flycatcher so thought I would post it to get input from others on what it might be.

Attachments

• SLRSP-03940.jpg
    SLRSP-03940.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 32
  • SLRSP-03942.jpg
    SLRSP-03942.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 17
Would favour Ash-throated Flycatcher. Seems very pale below and it's not especially large billed. Maybe the most likely species there too?

This is great created flycatcher because of the White edged tertials and the terminal part of the undertail does not contrast with the rest of the under tail (to be clarify ash throated should have a darker tip horizontally across the terminal area of the under tail, whereas great crested is rufous all the way to the tip. )

The bill is small and thin and solidly dark, the throat and chest are light gray and don't contrast a lot with the pale yellow belly & vent; these all point me to Ash-throated. The white-edged tertials that are visible are in keeping with the National Geographic 7th edition illustration of Ash-throated, which shows white-edged tertials. The view of the bird facing forward appears to me to be backlit as it is almost completely dark so I am ignoring it.

Ash-throated for me. Tail doesn't look like too big of an issue, though it's hard to assess true tail color on either photo. It appears to have broad black sides near the tip of the tail, even if the tip itself isn't black. Great Crested should have a larger bill. My 2014 Sibley Guide shows bright yellow extending well over the level of the lowest wing bar on Great Crested, whereas on Ash-throated it is a very pale yellow that just barely reaches level with the lowest wing bar. It also mentions that Ash-throated has a very pale throat, compared to Great Crested's evenly gray face.

Edit: I see that I cross-posted (with similar information from two different guides!) with Microtus.

The photos in the eastern Crossley guide tell a similar story to the Sibley and the National Geo guide. I consulted all three while drafting my most recent post.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back