• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual mobbing behaviour of Magpies (1 Viewer)

cjay

This afternoon whilst walking along the cliff top near my home I saw seven Magpies flying from a garden to a nearby Hawthorn tree. On reaching the tree the birds went into a right ole mobbing frenzy, thus by walking through the branches they would dispel the threat, however in this case there did not seem to be any other bird in the tree except these magpies. They were then joined by a Blackbird & three House Sparrows who also joined in the frenzy. After around five minutes the mobbing ceased & all three species of bird resumed to their normal duties. On looking at the ground underneath the tree I saw a Brown Rat feeding on what looked like a discarded chicken carcass. This was obviously the cause of all the commotion.

My guess is they were trying to lure the rat away so they could have the chicken for themselves

Once saw several Magpies cooperating to rob a Herring Gull of the worms it was catching - the gull was foot-paddling on wet grass (which makes worms surface). Every time a worm came up, one of the magpies would grab the gull's tail and pull, the gull would turn on its tormentor (who then ran off a bit to safety), and one of the other magpies would grab the worm. They took turns in doing this, so every magpie got its worm. Eventually, the gull gave up and flew off.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back