• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In an Island garden (1 Viewer)

Quercus

homo sarkensis
On the 1st of November I moved to the Island of Sark. I'm Head gardener in a private garden on the Island, so I'm out and about all day, everyday, (but not neccessarily birding).

The Garden is in two parts. the main Garden is perched atop a cliff on the more sheltered Eastern coast, about three acres of sub-tropical lovelyness.(Perfect for sheltereing vagrants.. perhaps) The veg garden is a further acre or so, in the centre of the Island's plateau, open to the winds from all directions.

I'm not going to restrict this journal to just the gardens... but as that's where I spend most of my time

Sark seems to be an under watched place, I don't pretend to be an expert birder, but I think i know what's what.

So far my Island list is up to 45, highlights include :-

Early in the month there were several Black redstarts around, both in the village and down at the harbour.

Firecrests are common, especially in the bushy valleys leading down to the sea, at least five were in the main garden on Wednesday.

There were 2 lLittle egretson one of the garden ponds, the island has no wetland areas (the biggest 'lake' being the "Duckpond"... which is, as it says.. a duck pond complete with tame Mallards and Moorhens!)

There seems to be a few chiff-chaffs around, and at least one Blackcap.

La Societie Guernesiaise (Ornithological section) list long tailed tits as rare migrants, they're everywhere!.. I suspect we've been colonised! Am I right in thinking they are a diferent sub-species down here, they look like their black bits are blacker than the Brittish ones!

Last edited:
I'll be interested to read more of what you see in Sark. I went there once on holiday when I was a kid (in 1983!) and thought it was quite a good place, particularly for migrants. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you find the odd rarity.

Looking forward to your reports Quercus. It will be interesting to find out what you see there.

Did you know there's around 20 subs species of LTT's :eek!: the one you get there appears to be aremoricus whereas 'ours' is rosaceus

D

You've gone and beaten me to it Quercus, any day now I was going to start a new thread on my new 'patch'. ;)

Very nice, remember, don't get too engrossed in your work, you never know what might fly over!!

Do you know what the Sark list stands at?

Looking forward to your reports Quercus. It will be interesting to find out what you see there.

Did you know there's around 20 subs species of LTT's :eek!: the one you get there appears to be aremoricus whereas 'ours' is rosaceus

D

I looked them up in BWP, which said aremoricus was simular to rosaceus . Then I remembered that I have a copy of 'Helms guide to Tits, Nuthatches and Treecreepers'..... which is a bit more helpful.. saying the white bits are whiter than in rosaceus. I knew the contrast was greater, I just got it the wrong way round.... but awww they're just as cute!

Talking of treecreepers... it's reported that STTcs are 'probably extinct' on Sark.... the word 'probably' gives me hope... but not much!... there are some quite big bits of woodland.

You've gone and beaten me to it Quercus, any day now I was going to start a new thread on my new 'patch'. ;)

Very nice, remember, don't get too engrossed in your work, you never know what might fly over!!

Do you know what the Sark list stands at?

<< waits with baited breath ....>>

Hang on a mo... I'll count up....... there was a bloke here in the 60s and 70s who did ringing and that sort of stuff... but not that much has been recorrded since!

I probably mis-counted... but it's about 240.

I don't allow myself to take binoculars to work... cos no work would get done, but I did find myself creeping around in the shruberies trying to see if that little grey birdy was a blackcap.. or just a robin... or summut blown in from America!

3 acres of sub-tropical loveliness just across the water? As a plantsman and birder you've now got me intrigued - if you make it across to the Guern or next time I'm over on sark lets try and meet up for a beverage or some birding!

I was wondering when you'd get around to this thread Q. Looking foreward to the installments. I went on holiday to Sark back in the 70s, wasn't a birder then but thinking back to those steep rocky bits covered in goorse and heather and bracken it must be good habitat for migrants.

3 acres of sub-tropical loveliness just across the water? As a plantsman and birder you've now got me intrigued - if you make it across to the Guern or next time I'm over on sark lets try and meet up for a beverage or some birding!

You're more than welcome to come across, I'll show you round,

There's only a return ferry on Wednesdays and some Saturday's in winter.... and that's only if the wind drops!

Edit.... added 'sub-tropical lovelyness' pics!

Attachments

• qw5.jpg
    qw5.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 123
  • qw4.jpg
    qw4.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
I was wondering when you'd get around to this thread Q. Looking foreward to the installments. I went on holiday to Sark back in the 70s, wasn't a birder then but thinking back to those steep rocky bits covered in goorse and heather and bracken it must be good habitat for migrants.

It took a bit of time to sort t'net out here... !

Most of the coastal bits are impenetrable blackthorn, gorse and bramble thickets, there are some well maintained paths, but there could be anything hiding in there... !

I have enjoyed good trips to Jersey and Guernsey a fair few times with a day trip to Herm for the Puffins so I shall be very keen to follow this and see how Sark comes out.

No transport there right? If so then that sounds ideal. Slip on the boots and walk all day!

<< waits with baited breath ....>>

Hope that isn't more 'sarkasm'?? .... ;)

I don't allow myself to take binoculars to work... cos no work would get done, but I did find myself creeping around in the shruberies trying to see if that little grey birdy was a blackcap.. or just a robin... or summut blown in from America!

Hope you don't regret it, you could always stash a pair in a drawer in the 'office' or in the petunias somewhere for the inevitable time something interesting drifts over or flits by.... you could always tell your employer they are for checking on the condition of the apical buds on the tulip tree or somesuch if they chance upon them ...

Hope that isn't more 'sarkasm'?? .... ;)

Hope you don't regret it, you could always stash a pair in a drawer in the 'office' or in the petunias somewhere for the inevitable time something interesting drifts over or flits by.... you could always tell your employer they are for checking on the condition of the apical buds on the tulip tree or somesuch if they chance upon them ...

Sarkie... Moi.... nah!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back